Let The Games Begin

My name is Laura Polymer. I live in the far away city of Jailer Rock. You have probably never heard of it. Mostly because its underwater.

Yes, folks, underwater. No, it isn't the "lost city of Atlantis". It's actually the remains of some island off Africa in the above water, used to be called Madagascar if I'm not mistaken. The animals living on it have grown gills and now thrive as water breathers. Confusing? A little bit, I suppose.

But the worst thing about being a water breather is I have gills and a fin, and can be classified as a mermaid. "You mean, the horrid creatures that sit on rocks and kill sailors with their voices?" No! That's a siren, our number uno enemy. Anyways, I am turning fifteen soon, which means I am legible to get bonded, or as you land trotters call it, marriage. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My name is Luka Stanley, of the country once known as Mozambique. The ex-country of Madagascar is right off the coast. Our settlement is one of the richest, and that is because of our annual games. They are called the Mermaid Auction. I get to participate, since I am fifteen this year. Us teens go out to the Madagascan Sea on a ship for seven days. You go by yourself, and bring a lot of fishing nets! The purpose is to capture as many mermaids as possible. They are at a bonding ceremony, so there are many at a time. And that is my time to strike.

On average, you'll capture three, and four if you're lucky. The more the better, because you'll get at least fifteen shams for each. A hundred is considered a rich man's pay. My goal, is too beat the most ever captured in five days, eight. 

There are only three rules: Don't injure or kill any mermaids. Don't bring back a siren, if that's even possible. And finally, don't let them make you fall in love.