It Isn't Love

Damien and I have a “special relationship.” It’s the kind that I was shunned by my family because of. It’s also the kind that makes me so confused. One minute Damien and I are snuggling on the couch together as we watch Doctor Who, but then the next he’s screaming at me because of something stupid I’ve done. He says he loves me, but then he yells at me. He says that I’m perfect, and then he points out my flaws.

Honestly, I have no idea what to do, but since I’ve known him since high school, I’m staying with him. He’s like my home, I guess. He’s always brutally honest, which is a good thing, right? If I look ugly, he’ll tell me. If something I spent cooking and preparing for hours tastes bad, he’s tell me. If something I say is stupid, he’ll tell me. He’ll tell me whenever I do something wrong.

We’ve been dating for almost four years now, and I think he’s going to propose soon. I don’t know how I feel about that exactly. My emotions are a little mixed.

Right now, Damien and I are at the mall, shopping for some new clothes for the upcoming summer. I usually don’t like summer shopping; I don’t always feel comfortable in my skin. Hopefully Damien will help me pick outfits out that will flatter my body instead of make it look worse.

Damien and I separate for a few minutes as he goes to the bathroom, so I decide to pick a few things off the racks of this cute new store and purchase them. They show a little more skin than I usually do, but maybe Damien will like it. I usually don’t wear shorts, but I bought two pairs and even decided to buy a tank-top. Hopefully the outfit flatters my body right.

Damien shoots me a text.

Where did u go?

I remember that I left Damien at the bathrooms and text him back.

Sorry, I got a little distracted. Wanna grab some lunch?

Damien texts back a few seconds later.

Sure. Meet me at the Subway.

I put my phone back into my back pocket and hurry to Subway. By the time I come over, Damien has a spot for us in line. I stand cut next to him after apologizing to a few customers in line who didn’t seem to approve of my advance.

Damien orders first. When it’s my turn, I get a sub sandwich with ham, peppers, onions, lettuce, and some sour cream. Damien pays after I grab a bag of chips to buy. Then, lugging our meals over to a vacant table in the little Subway, Damien and I sit down in a booth. When I unwrap my sub and start to pile the chips on the mountainous sandwich for extra flavor and crunch, Damien shoots me a look.

“Really, (y/n)?”

I furrow my brow. “What?”

He rolls his eyes. “You’d think that you’d start working out, especially with your diet.”

“What’s wrong with my diet?” I ask quietly, feeling my cheeks warm up in embarrassment.

Damien cocks an eyebrow. “You do realize that I picked Subway in hopes that you’d get something healthy, right?” He runs a hand down his face. “Yet, here you are, eating a giant sandwich with chips and sour cream and other various foods piled on.”

I stare down at my untouched sandwich. “I can eat healthier, if that’s what you want.”

“What I want isn’t that simple,” he says sternly.

“What do you want?”

He locks eyes with me for a moment before saying, “I want you to lose weight.”

I instantly look down at myself; my arms, my thighs, my stomach. I realize that I have gained some weight since we started dating in high school. Maybe I really should start watching what I eat.