Don't Just Say You Love Me, Show Me - Egil Olsen

"Nick, I love you. I love you." I said through my tears. I was trying anything to stop him from walking out the door. "I. Love. You."

"Blake-"

"No, I love you. Okay? This is what you wanted, right? You told me you wanted me to love you, and I do, Nick, I do, I love you." Nick turned.

"How do I know you're not just saying that so I don't leave? You just want someone to have around, you don't want a relationship. At least, not a serious one." He crossed his arms. I inhaled sharply and tried to collect myself enough to speak.

"I don't just want someone to have around, Nick. I want you." My voice cracked. "I want you to be around. You are everything I could ever want and I love you."

"Yeah."

"Nick, please." I took a step towards him, and he took a step towards the door. "Don't do this. I need you, please. You can't leave me, not like this. We need to work this out." Nick turned back towards the door. "I love you!" My voice sounded congested as the words spilled from my mouth. I wiped at my face aggressively as more and more tears pooled over my lids and down my cheeks.

"You can't just wait until the last minute for this!" Nick turned towards me again and walked over. I was 5'1" and he towered over me at 5'11". "You suddenly decided you loved me, just as I've made the decision to leave you, and be better off." His words stung. My breathing was labored.

"I didn't just decide this, Nick. I love you, I always have, I just didn't know what it meant. I didn't know what loving you meant, and I am so sorry that I put you through that." I grabbed Nick's hand, and covered my mouth with the other as I held back a sob.

"You can't just say you love me," Nick snatched his hand out of mine. "Show me." He walked out, taking his suitcases with him. Taking all of him with him. Taking everything from me.

I sank to the floor, sobbing freely, my choked moans getting louder as I let it all out. But I realized I had nothing left to give.

•••