Spring Day- BTS

We sat together on my front porch. My house had the porch swing, so that was our usual spot to talk. I'd only been to her house once. We sat looking out into the woods surrounding us and the house. At this time of night, I usually found it too eerie to sit out here by myself. But not with her.

The air was cool and slid over us in a breeze. Sly, my German Shepherd, sat against the banister across from us.

"Sly's been really calm." She finally spoke. I turned while laughing softly.

"You're right. I think it helps that you're here; He loves you." I smiled at her and then looked at Sly, who was dozing off.

She shifted in her seat, stretching her legs, and stopping the swing. She was quiet. I turned back to her.

"It's late. Both our parents will kill us if we're out any longer."

"Stay a little longer? It's Friday night."

"You know my parents get strict."

"I know," I huffed, "I just wish they'd let up on you. You're not your sister."

She shrugged in reply.

We stayed like that for a few minutes. She didn't want to leave.

"Okay, I really have to get going now; I have to walk home tonight."

"Please be careful." I said softly. She stood up.

"I always am." She turned and smiled. She came over and leaned down to kiss me. When she started to pull away, I grabbed her hand and pulled her back in as I stood up. Sly sat up at the sudden movement.

"I mean it. Be careful." I whispered when we finally separated. She cradled my face, ruining my makeup. I didn't care.

"I'll be  careful. I promise." She kissed me once more. "I love you." She whispered against my lips.

"I love you more." I whispered back.

She grabbed her bag and went on her way, patting Sly's head as she went. I watched her as she walked down the front lawn, and down the sidewalk, and as she looked back and blew a kiss at me. The girl I was in love with.

I remember the screaming, the sobbing, the sirens. Holding someone. A crowd gathering. Numbness. Blood, so much blood. My mouth was open as if I was screaming but I heard nothing.

• • •

I felt myself jerking, writhing, moaning in agony. Sobs escaping my lips. My eyes shot open to dark figures and red, white, and blue lights. My heart was racing, my breathing labored, my head pounding.

"You can't keep doing this. I can only cover for you for so long. I'll have to take you in if this happens again." A stern voice spoke to me. My cheeks were wet. I looked around and saw an empty bottle of vodka nearby.

"How long was it this time?" I could barely get my words out.

"Two days." The voice replied.

"Same woman?" I coughed, but didn't move. The cold grass and mud felt soothing.

"Yep."

"Fuck her."

"C'mon. We need to get you home." I felt myself being lifted and panicked. I thrashed and cried, trying to break free. I took hold of the tombstone and wrapped my arms around it, holding on for dear life. "I'm gonna need back up." The man shouted over his shoulder. More tears flowed. I kissed the tombstone, and slowly, reluctantly, stood up. "I love you." I whispered, and turned away. "I love you more."

"No need." I said through my tears. "Let's go."