Chapter 14: Sleeping Beauty

The urge to scream and cry was getting worse. He limped beside me, his arm over my shoulder. Every two moments we had to stop so I could kill another walker or two, it did help me deal with my overwhelming feelings. He lost his footing and fell, I caught him, but it didn't matter. I collapsed beside him, bursting into tears. My entire body shook with sobs, my attempts to stay quiet only made things worse.

"Jean... it'll be fine." He tried to reassure me, it didn't work. Most would ask why I am so distressed, well... it's quite the simple answer my droogs... we didn't have any medicine. There was a good chance he was going to die. That fucking scratch is going to get infected... and he's going to die. This woeful realization made me openly weep into my hands. Beside me, he sighed.

"If you don't get up now I might as well be dead." He told me. I removed my head from my hands, looking over at him with a solemn look on my face.

"Aren't you already though?" I asked genuinely. He furrowed his eyebrows, attempting to stand on his own, clearly upset by my remark. I wanted to help him, but I didn't see the point. What's the difference between him dying out here or dying at home? To me, there was none.

"Fucking hell, Jean. I'm still here, I refuse to go anywhere yet and I won't if you take us back to the base!" He snapped. This sudden outburst finally brought me back to reality. I stood, helping him up and letting him lean on me once again. I bit my tongue, my inner cheek, anything to stop me from crying out in the emotional pain I was currently in. I shouldn't be so selfish, however. The only one who should be openly expressing their pain here would be my dear sweet Owen, but he wasn't. He was staying strong. Now, on the path leading up to the gates I realized that I had to leave him. I had to open the gates and get help. I wouldn't leave him far from the gates though, that would be stupid.

"Help!" I called out. After a few seconds of walking up to the gates, I had to call out again. Only this time did I see a few people gathering around the gate, after realizing who it was calling for help, Edward opened it. As I got closer, I was able to recognize the others who surrounded Edward, the ones who now looked on in shock. Aphid, Arno... and Pammy. Once we were inside, Edward slammed the gate shut and dropped to his knees beside me as I laid Owen down on the ground.

"What the fuck happened, Jean?" Edward inquired. I fought my tears once more, preparing myself to tell them what happened.

"We were looting some cars, he got knocked over by a walker-" Everyone gasped, assuming he was bitten.

"He killed it. He didn't get bitten or anything like that, but he got cut by the bumper." I explained. Owen was barely conscious, and I knew that we had to stop the bleeding. I stood as Arno picked him up.

"Do we have any bandages?" I asked Edward. He dug into his pocket for a brief moment.

"You're lucky. We picked these up today." He told me.

"Thank you." I thanked before nodding and rushing to Owen's side. I held his limp hand, getting used to the feeling. I felt as if I would have to get used to it just in case this doesn't work out. My heart ached as we walked inside. Arno cleared a table and placed Owen on it. He barely opened his eyes and I doubted that he could actually see me, but I still smiled a bittersweet smile, trying my best to show that I had faith, even though I didn't.

I lifted his shirt, viewing this potentially fatal wound for the first time. The gash went up his left side, and blood was seeping out of it. I took a small, white towel and placed it over the wound, holding it there with the right amount of pressure applied. I looked over at Arno.

"Grab him, lift his torso so Aphid can wrap the bandages around him." I commanded. Arno nodded and grabbed him, lifting him. As if on cue, Aphid began to unwrapped the bandages from the roll and wrap them around Owen. As soon as the bandages were over the towel, I moved my hand and took over. I made sure they were tight enough before tying them off. I looked around at the nervous faces around the table. Arno scurried behind me to grab Owen.