Chapter IX

I stand with the others as Jay performs the tattoo procedure.

"... and last but not least... let's all say it," says Jay.

"Fly freely and fight fiercely," we all pronounce.

Then we walk away, and Jay talks to Mynah for a minute.

He goes back to his nest and I see Sparrow walking towards his slowly.

I sigh.

I feel like they'd be pretty good together.

No, I take it back. Their age is such a difference! She's about 16 and he's only 13.

Nah. I reckon Sparrow is more into girls anyway.

I shake off the thought and go back to my own nest before Jay comes up the ladder and sits on my bed with me.

"You did really well with that," he says.

"Oh, it was nothing."

"Seriously. A new Avis is one of the biggest things to happen. He can help us finally defeat the Death Beholders once and for all."

"Yeah, I guess it is," I smile.

He looks me in the eyes and I see the pale blue familiarity.

He smiles.

Suddenly silence drifts over, and all I hear are the faint bird chirps and rustling of trees.

He leans in.

It all happens so quickly.

His lips connect to mine. The taste of his lips and smell of his skin are sweet. Like berries, and meringues, and for someone like him, it's odd, but somehow so natural.

He pulls away after what feels like an eternity.

I smile, and he grins.

"Thanks."

Simultaneously.

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

We go to dinner together after about... 2 hours, it must have been, just of talking about random things.

The kiss is still lingering.

I think it'll stay for a while.

Jay doesn't talk to me at all after dinner though. He only talks strictly the next day too.

I talk to Sparrow in her nest after training has finished the next day.

"What's up with Jay?"

"What do you mean?" she asks.

"He's been acting kind of weird."

"What do you mean?"

"Well... if you don't tell anyone... anyone at all... we kissed."

"Ooh, I know too many people with this situation."

"Could you tell me what's going on in that brain of his?"

She sighs.

"He is obviously feeling embarrassed, so he doesn't want to talk about it. Or talk to you. He's just getting over it. He might have also kissed you to get over Parakeet as well."

"You're joking," I say.

"Nah! You wouldn't believe the amount of secret relationships that happen here in the camp," she says. "Everyone always comes to me and tells me because I'm practically a drama tampon. I absorb all the drama."

"Sounds like you definitely do. But is there anything I can do?"

"Mm... not really. You have to let boys get over it until they're completely fine. Or nearly fine. You just have to wait until he's him again."

I hug her. "You're a great person."

"Just call me the Love Doctor."

"Of course," I giggle as I go down her ladder.

I walk past Jay as I walk to my nest. He's got his head down.

I sigh.

I hope he'll be okay.