Chapter 1

-a/n: hey guys! It's kat from @katmusic920, and I will be assisting in helping this lovely authoress, Julia, write Look at the Stars. I'm very very excited bc you all seem lovely and we're both very excited to hear your response!-

Indigo had never really been a good listener, specifically in Mr. Brown's History class. After all, she was barely surviving off four hours of sleep, and the rhythmic beating of her heart in her ears felt like a melody. So Indigo Rogers fell asleep, her chin in the palm of her hand, no dreams in her head to be interrupted. She didn't really think Mr. Brown would notice. He was currently droning on and on and on about the War of 1812, which made Indigo feel much less guilty about letting her heavy eyelids fall, seeing as he lectured about this topic almost every day, so she really wasn't missing out on much.

However, Indigo was in deep. Much deeper than she normally was when she took naps in History. And when the bell rang, ending first hour, she didn't follow the rest of the class in an unorderly exit from one cage to the next through a prison hallway. She kept sleeping, her breathing steady until suddenly it wasn't when she realized that she was having a horrid nightmare about a certain night two years before. With a start she woke up, jumping so high out of her seat that she nearly fell over, not to mention the glare she had she gracefully earned from her wrinkled History teacher, a certain fury in his eyes as he glared at her while she packed up her things.

"Detention. For the rest of the week." He bellowed at Indigo, one of her feet out the door. She stopped, shoulders slightly drooping from hearing this.

"The whole week? But it's only Monday." Indigo replied, using a bit of a pout.

Mr. Brown shot her a glare and she raised both hands as if surrendering. Then she left with an exasperated sigh and brewing thoughts flurrying around her brain. She watched as Ryder Ford approached his locker, giving the jocks blocking it one eyebrow-raised look to make them move. They backed away quickly. It wasn't like Ryder could ever be friends with guys like them, clad in their varsity jackets and jeans with their bright smiles and dates with the flawless cheerleaders every Friday night. Ryder was not like them.

In fact, Ryder wasn't like most people. His hair was black, and he consistenly wore band t-shirts and ripped jeans. Some might describe him as anti-social, but Indigo liked to think of him as mysterious. That was why she watched him so consistently. It wasn't like she was creepy at all about it. Indigo was merely interested in this boy. After all, Indigo had very muddled thoughts and was interested by someone that managed to always stay collected and calm, while at the same time slightly intimidating. There were not many people like that in a town like theirs, and Indigo hated it. But she wanted to know him.

She quickly walked past him as she saw his brown eyes flicker towards her direction.

Ryder hated people. Specifically the people at his school. The quiet whispers behind accusing fingers, the disgusted glances, and most of all the fear of anyone at all different or new. The select few people that he could tolerate were too afraid of him to speak to him, which Ryder didn’t understand. How could you fear someone you don’t know?  

As he stuffed his binder into his locker, he eyed his detention slip.

Ryder Ford- Detention for calling teacher an ‘Uneducated Idiot’ in front of entire class.

He knew that it would get him in for a week before he even said it. But he believed in brutal honesty, and Ms. Johnston was oblivious to the fact that no, the Greeks were not a delusional race suffering to survive in a newly established government. The point was, he had only scanned the chapter they were learning, and it specifically said that they were very advanced for their time period. This woman had obviously not captured the concept in the eight years she’d been teaching the same thing over and over.