Pt.2

Zim instructed Gir to stay watch upstairs as he opened the trash bin entrance to the lab. “Remember, Gir,”
          The robot looked up from the couch with a blank expression.
          Zim pointed a finger at the door, “If anyone knocks, do not answer. Allow the parental units to do so. You’re not a human.”
          Gir didn’t react.
          “You’re a dog.”
          “…”
          “…Dogs don’t talk…”
          “……….Okie dokie!” He cried happily then proceeded to open a drawer of crayons and paper next to him.
          “ugh…” Zim sighed and descended into his lab. “Computer!”
          “ah, hmm?”
          The Irken hopped into his seat before the large monitor. “Computer, run a scan on the area for any signs of- Wait. Why do you sound tired? You’re a computer.”
        “Um…hmm…charging…maybe?”
        “Ah, sounds like an acceptable answer. Now quickly!” He drummed his fingers together, “find me a nearby source of kissing activity. I must outsmart this Dib in the act. I CAN’T STAND the thought of that GRAHHH! HOUSE…BEAST besting me in my own plans!”
          “Kissing activity, sir?”
          “Yes! Do it now! For every second I go knowing he’s beat me, I criiinge!”
          “ohhh…kayyy…” At that moment, a soft, red light began to flash across the screen. “Incoming transmission!” The computer seemed relieved, “From the Irken Massive!”
           “The Tallest!” Zim sat up straight and immediately pressed to accept the call in excitement. Two  Irken men appeared before him with annoyed expressions. “My Tallest!” His grin extended, “You must be wondering about my most recent, MOST AMAZING, plan to take over the human race! Oh, but it’s not probing day. Still, you must be exc-“
          “Zim, we’ll cut to the chase. Your position on Earth has been terminated.”
          Zim was silent for a moment before hopping closer to the screen, “T-Terminated?...Oh!” He laughed nervously while sitting back. “This is a test, yes? Don’t you worry, sirs, I won’t be discouraged that easily!”
          “This is no joke, Zim.” The second Tallest’s tone was almost menacing. “As an invader, you’ve caused more harm than anything.”
          “You’re not even a real invader!” chimed in the other.
          “Wha-“ Zim’s large pink eyes began to swell, “Why are you saying this? Of course I’m an invader! You assigned me this planet! I intend to destroy it!”
          “You aren’t an – ugh,” He was clearly aggitated. “Invaders don’t destroy planets, Zim… they blend in with the dominant species, find their weakness, and THEN those qualified for the job take over. We’ve been over this. What’d be the point in destroying a planet?”
          Zim leaned forward, “I can do that! Just today, I found out tha-“
          “Zim, you’re done! Last week’s incident with the twenty voice mails was the last straw!”
          “Well, it wasn’t that,” said the other. “We just don’t like you. You’re a horrible invader…and just annoying…”
          Zim  couldn’t believe what he was hearing, “But… what of my work here? For months I’ve been observing these creatures. Surely there’s something I’ve reported that’s helped!”
          “No, Zim. Not one thing you’ve told us has been of any help.”
          Zim sniffled quietly and was at a loss for words.
          “We’re assigning you to a new training program in Hobo 13.”
          “I already did that! And I won!”
          “You used your teammates to win while sacrificing their positions. And you had the general killed by that monster.”
          Zim blinked without emotion, “So… what am I doing?”
          “That program has since been replaced by a more intense, more horrible one! It will shape even you into an Irken of some use to society. Afterwards, you’ll be doing laundry.”
          “You expect me, Zim, to wash the clothes of others?!”
         “Hey, it’s the clothing of invaders. You should be honored!” He smirked.
          “Eh?” All of a sudden, a large capsule broke through the ceiling of the Irken’s base and swallowed him inside. A screen appeared before him.
          “You managed to escape Foodcourtia TWICE!” The Tallest’s magenta eyes were full of hatred. “This time, you’ll be exiled for twenty years of training and no less! Unlike your last exile, there are no ships to escape in!”
          A tentacle like arm flung from the capsule’s side, snatching Gir. The small robot created a loud thud as he slammed into his master.
          “We’re wiping all humans’ memories of you and leaving no evidence of your existence, don’t you worry!”
          He grasped the screen, “My Tallest, surely this is a mistake!” Clear panic flashed across the small alien’s face. He looked down as the capsule began to ascend. The base was slowly shrinking beneath him into the dirt.
          “No mistake, Zim,” He said calmly. “We cast you into this world without knowledge of it in hopes you’d be destroyed, and yet you still  found a way to do harm!”
          “Ahhhhhh no!!!” Zim shrieked at the sight of his base disappearing before him. The sounds of Gir laughing with joy drowned out the chuckles of the Tallest before they signed off.

          By the time Dib arrived home, the sun had already begun to set. Loud barks from a neighbor dog were muffled by the sounds of a teenager finishing his mowing. The young boy casually checked the mailbox and, to his surprise, it had been taken in that day. Ordinarily, this would have made him ecstatic. The only other person to check the mail was his father, and he was rarely home. This time, it was just a small comfort. He pushed open the front door.
          “Son. There you are!” The famous professor clenched his raised hands dramatically, “Your sister and I have been worried about you!”
          “Ehhh,” Gaz shrugged from the kitchen table.
          “Dad, I can explain, I-“
          “Don’t tell me you were chasing another ‘ghost’ or bugging that Zit kid!”
          “It’s Zim… And Dad, I know it sounds crazy but he’s definitely up to something! Just today he had this chip that c-“
          “Oh, Dib…” His tall father placed a gloved hand on his shoulder. He always dressed as though performing a hazardous experiment. It was most likely due to his hectic schedule. “When are you going to give up this…’parascience’ nonsense and study real science?”
          His eyes became desperate as they always did when tormented, “Paranormal science is real science! I know Zim is-“
          “Oh shut it, Dib. You’re obsessed with him.” Gaz viciously ripped the corner of her sandwich with her mouth.
          “I am not! He’s-“
          “Come on now, Gaz. Be nice.” The father started toward his lab, waving his arm, “You two should be sensitive to things you obsess over!” The door latched behind him.
          “Hmph.” Gaz continued eating.
          Annoyed, Dib made his way outside again. “I’ll be on the roof.” He saw his sister merely shoo her hand at him.
          “Ah…” The flat surface of the roof was cool against his back. He sighed again, staring up at the stars. It was unusually clear that night, and a fair amount of them were visible.
          ‘Why is it no one ever takes me seriously?’ He thought. He bit his lip in frustration, ‘Zim could kill us all any day now, and I’d be the only one to even realize what was going on! Then again…’ Dib removed his coat and rolled it beneath his head as a pillow. ‘Zim isn’t exactly super smart… Are all aliens that stupid? No, he must just be a kid or dumb for his kind.’ The image of the green boy in front of him popped in his head. He’d seen him without his contacts before. Those large, pink eyes… Dib hated Zim, but he also was fascinated by him. Ever since his first paranormal experience as a young child, he wanted to know more about other creatures unseen by humans.
          Dib ran a hand through his black hair, “If Zim and I were friends, it’d be so much better.” He laughed silently at his own thought. ‘Zim wouldn’t listen to me or anyone else even if he knew they were right. He’s too immature and stupid.’ He sighed and brought a finger to his lips again. Just hours ago the Irken’s own had met with his. It was a very different sensation, being kissed. He was shocked at his own reaction to it. Asking Zim if he liked him? What’d he mean by that? And of course he didn’t like him! Dib’s face turned a dark red. The powerful kiss had left his chest feeling heavy and stomach fluttering. He wondered if it was a side effect from being kissed by an alien. ‘That idiot probably gave me some weird virus.’ His hands turned into fists, ‘if he turns me into bologna again, it’s the last str-‘
          His thoughts were interrupted by a loud noise, similar to that of a plane taking off. “What the-“ Dib sat up straight and saw the object rocketing into space. He stood immediately, “Zim! He’s playing out one of his plans!” Excitement coursed through him. He slid down the ladder and flew into his bedroom, gathering supplies. ‘This is my chance!’ He thought. ‘I may not be able to catch him now, but at least I can infiltrate his base and find out what he’s up to!’ He pulled a black turtle neck sweater over his head and grabbed his suitcase of equipment. He kept it ready and full of cameras for evidence in case something paranormal were to appear.
          Dib dashed passed his father’s lab, “Going to expose Zim and his secrets, be back by ten!” A hand came out, snatching him by the collar of his sweater.
          “Whoa, hold on there, Son.” His father scratched his head, “Now, where is it you’re going?”
          “I told you, Zim is up to something. I just saw him flying into space! You got-“
          “Zim? Is that an imaginary friend of yours? Oh, Dib,” He turned into his lab again to check the temperature of a strange liquid. “You’re much too old for those, don’t you think?”
          “Imaginary Fr-“ Dib became frustrated, “Dad, I just want to check things out. I’ll be back soon. Is that okay?”
          “No can do, Son. You were out all evening.”
          “Because of Zim! He tricked me into following him and-“
          “I said no.”
          “Geez,” Gaz was playing her Game Slave 2 in the living room, “Get a grip.”
          Dib sat in class, staring at Zim’s empty desk. He’d came in early, hoping to confront his nemesis. Minutes passed, and the tardy bell had rung. The green boy still hadn’t arrived. ‘Zim never misses school,’ he thought.
          “Okay, children,” hissed Ms. Bitters, “Today we will be going over the Vietnam War. Please turn to page six thousand in your text books.”
          ‘Missing school would cause him to be questioned. Would Zim risk that…’ The more Dib thought about it, the more it bothered him. ‘Yesterday, when he did that… His plan was to place a chip in my head to control me.’ He swallowed anxiously and tried to calm himself. ‘What if… What if he’s trying it on someone else?’ The image of Zim kissing him appeared once more, ‘No, not that!’ He scolded himself. ‘The chip! He must be finding a new victim because it didn’t work with me!’ He clenched his fist, ‘I have to stop him!’ He threw his hand straight up, waving it frantically.
          “Their was so much water that the legs rotted right off- What is it, Dib?”
          “Ms. Bitters, did you hear why Zim isn’t here today?”
          The snake – like lady blinked lazily, “I don’t know what you’re talking about… They didn’t know what to do with all the legs so it was decided-“
          “Don’t know what I’m t- Zim! He’s not here!”
          “Stop making up random stuff just to get out of a lesson, Dib!” squeaked Zita.
          “Yeah, just leave everyone alone!”
          Dib opened his mouth in shock, “What am I making up? I just want to know why Zim isn’t here, that’s all!”
          “Who’s Zim?”
          “Wha-“ Dib was annoyed. He stood on his desk’s seat and spoke loudly, “Zim! The green guy, about this tall,” He motioned with his hands. After a confused silence, he went on desperately, “You know, no ears! Alien?!”
          “Sounds like a freak, just like you!”
         “...” He pointed at the empty desk by the door, “He sits right there every day!”
          “I wish you were invisible too!”
          “Quiet, everyone,” barked Ms. Bitters. “Dib, just because you’re crazy you can’t go interrupting class.”
         Dib sunk into his seat as class continued. ‘What on Earth is going on?’ He looked out of the corner of his eye at the other students, ‘Is this a joke? Why are they acting like they don’t know about Zim?’
          He hurried down the hall and out the front door of the school as soon as it let out. Yelling over his shoulder to his sister that he’d be home before dark, he ran as fast as he could. ‘Zim,’ he thought through heavy breaths. ‘You have to have done something!’
          The closer Dib got to the Irken’s home, the more nervous he became. He’d almost been completely taken over by him just the day before. If alone with him again, would he try the same thing? He pushed the thought out of his head. ‘No, if I can stop him from what he’s doing, it’ll be worth the risk.’ He came to a skidded halt as he turned onto Zim’s street.
          Zim’s house…was gone.
          He stared in awe. The small lot where the alien had landed wasn’t just empty; the grass where the house had been was back. The holes in the neighboring houses where his base had stolen energy looked as though they never had existed. Dib sprinted over and fell to his knees in the vacant lot. He patted the dry earth frantically. 
          “Nothing…” His brown eyes were large with confusion and panic. “What…” He dug at the dirt slightly, felt the thin air… “Zim!” He cried. “You’re not fooling me!” He knew he was speaking to no one. He looked up to see a neighbor watching him. Dib wiped his nose awkwardly and stood, staring at the ground. His eyes began to swell and heart pound. ‘Dang it, Zim!’ He thought. ‘What is going on?’