Holding On, Letting Go

• Summer's POV •

I took a deep breath and braced myself as I went into the cold midnight air. It was November, the day before Thanksgiving. My whole family had come. My cousins, aunts and uncles, grandma's and grandpa's and most of all nieces and nephews. Whenever you walked into the house all you heard was laughing and screaming and the only real time that it was partly quiet was when we were eating and all you could here where the smacks of the lips as they chewed. I had to get some fresh air and get out of that house. As I watched my breath float away in little clouds, I heard a car come down the street. Not a loud car, just the wheels of a new Ford Raptor 4x4. I knew what that meant. My ride was here to pick me up and out of my misery. I had just texted him to pick me up.

"Hey" I say jumping in.

"You need a ride?" Dallas asks.

"That's why I called you" I said with a wink.

"So why were you dying again?" he asks.

"You know why, now can we leave before I die of hunger?" I ask aggravated/jokingly.

"Sure, Joes okay?"

"Yeah, it's perfect."

Joes was a place all the kids go after school, it was an amazing cafe, filled with sandwiches and salads. By far the best.

While we were driving, it started to rain, me and Dallas were one with the rain you could say, and chose to sit outside under the boardwalk lights. Dallas was a childhood friend, and partially a friends with benefits sorta thing.....but, ever since I had started dating Coby, a hot jock, everything seemed different. I was hoping Coby wouldn't get in the middle of Dallas and I's relationship.

"Summer?"

"Yeah?" I asked coming out of my daze.

"Did you hear anything I just said?" he asked.

"Sure I did......" I said trying to sound sure of myself.

"Really? What was I saying?" Dallas asks suspiciously.

"Okay, you got me. I wasn't listening....

As soon as I finished talking, I heard Carrie, an employee come up behind us.

"Hey y'all! What can I get for you tonight?" she asked perky.

"Hey Carrie; can I get the ceaser salad, no croutons?" I said.

"Well of course you can! And for you, Dallas?" Carrie questioned.

"Can I get the Joes Special, no tomatoes? Dallas said.

"Why of course!" Carrie said in her southern brawl. "it'll be right up!"

"Thanks;" Dallas and I both said in unison.