27. And Then It Hits Her

Blake waited patiently on the edge of the forest, her dream still lingering in her mind. Who could that boy have been? He looked so unbelievably familiar.

She’d decided she’d talk to Vaan about it, figuring he knew a lot of people and perhaps he was better with putting names and faces together. She pulled a strand of her blond hair behind her ear and rubbed her arms to warm them up seeing as it was a bit chilly outside.

Then Vaan pushed a branch out of his way and stepped back on to the school’s property. He stared at the ground and flicked his head to the right to get his bangs out of his eyes when he finally looked up and smiled at Blake, he teeth and fangs showing. “Hey, how’re you?”

Blake didn’t look at him at first, she was too infatuated with a small flower a few yards away from her. Normally something so girlish didn’t bother her but at that moment she felt so…lost. “Oh, I’m good. Song said you were out, so I’d figure I’d wait at my usual spot,” She said and then she paused and frowned. “That’s weird.”

“What’s weird?” Vaan asked as he raised and eyebrow and stepped closer to her.

“I just, well…I said this was my usual spot but I don’t remember ever waiting for you here. Like I just forgot suddenly,” Blake answered and then finally she looked up at Vaan who’s smile had faded just a tad but was still there. Her eyes immediately went to his fangs. And it was like lightning struck and she was so mad that she hadn’t realized sooner. Oh god, she’d seen Vaan’s past? Were those his adoptive parents or had they been his birth parents? Oh god she was so confused, she couldn’t even remember anything, besides his face, from the dream.

Vaan wrapped his arm around Blake’s shoulder and sighed, “Well, I’m sure it will all come back soon. After all, it was a long time ago.”

Blake opened her mouth to speak, wanting to tell him how weirdly coincidental and ironic what he had just said was, but she decided she wouldn’t tell him what she knew. And it wasn’t a willing decision. She was forcing herself not to, against her own will.

Although her silence was a little questionable, Vaan decided he’d simply just go along and walk with her in silence. They walked forward towards the school and Vaan started to hum a song he’d heard a while ago, and all Blake did was glance up at him every so often. She didn’t understand anything suddenly. Her mind was driving her crazy.

Her own mind. Now that was a questionable thought indeed.