Chapter 2

TADA!! Finally released Chapter 2!! I'm probably more excited about letting this out than you wonderful readers, but that's okay haha.

I really hope you are enjoying this so far, because I've gotten the whole thing planned out and I'm actually quite proud of how it's gonna turn out!! Anyways, um...I dunno. Haha I'm so bad at these things! I hope you guys like this chapter!!!

5 votes for chapter 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^.^

Oh, and the photograph of Emma Watson on the side is just for her outfit. She's not who I've envisioned as Clari, but her clothing fits what I feel like the guards and she would wear when outside of Haven.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Two:

A Puzzle Inside Your Head

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I decided on wearing a black chiffon shirt with sleeves that cinched around my wrists and flowed up my arms, the front buttoning up to just below my collar bone.

The bottoms I wore were black leather pants that hugged my legs tightly, ending at my ankles and giving way to the slate-colored heels I had slipped into. They shone in the faint glow of the steadily rising sun that leaked through the window of my quarters.

Over my clothing I donned a thick wool cloak, a customary norm at Haven. Cloaks were for warmth, security; always to be worn outside of the place.

I stepped into the stone corridor of Haven, shutting the heavy wooden door to my room swiftly, fingers trailing on the rich oak surface before tugging at the metal handle to ensure it was firmly shut. I wasn't exactly desiring any unwanted visitors peering through my belongings, no matter how little I owned.

A few steps down the hall and I was already shivering from the chill in the air. There was no heating in Haven, nothing but moth eaten sheets that we had to use. There were no fireplaces, nothing.

I closed my eyes and folded my arms, fingers curled inwards tightly, forming fists. I froze for a moment and let my body relax.

Fire, heat, warmth. They were the only things that occupied my mind, and I could feel it: a bubble expanding in my chest, making it feel as though I would burst. It was the feeling of power coursing through my mind, my veins.

A flash burst from my fists as I uncurled my fingers swiftly, a wave of fiery gold energy rippling through the air. The glow disappeared, but the air around me wavered like it would over a flame, filled with heat. I sighed in contentment and unfolded my arms before smirking and continuing down the hall, heat radiating around me.

I sighed proudly and strode down the hall, head held high.

Thick, heavy wooden doors lined the stone corridor, the only light coming from the broken windows that were placed between each door.

Haven was like a massive boarding house, and though there was room for hundreds, there were only a few dozen of us - the Masters, who kept to themselves and were never seen, a handful of students, the guards, and then the Institutors, such as myself.

Institutors were those who had mastered their gifts and were sent on frequent trips by the Masters to do many things, such as extract information, take out the occasional victim, or take them - willingly or not - to Haven.

My place was extracting information from enemies of Haven and witnesses. You see, my gift was centered around the mind. I could manipulate it, creating illusions and making them so forcibly real that no one could ever tell the difference between the dream and reality. I could drive a man mad if I so wished.