ONE || Strange Girl

Chapter One : Strange Girl

"Jason, are you even listening to me?"

The sound of my mom's voice made me blink a few times before actually reverting my attention from the very attractive girls who'd just crossed the street and instead towards my mother, who was furious for attention."W-What?" I stammered unintelligently, raising both my eyebrows. Seriously, this seating position directly across from the beach was not going well for me.

She rolled her eyes, clearly frustrated by the lack of attention she was receiving but nonetheless, repeated herself. "Your father and I will be attending a business meeting in about an hour, so we're going to need you to pick her up. Not that big of a deal, we've already sorted everything out with the agency."

Wait, what was she talking about again? I attempted at trying to figure out who the hell she meant by "her", until I finally gave up with not a clue of who she was referring to. "Who exactly am I picking up again? And where?" Well, this would be the first time she trusted me picking up a girl.

Then again, we probably weren't on the same page with this whole idea of "picking her up".

"Lorelle," she said in annoyance, rolling her eyes. Well, sorry. "Look, hon, I have to be upstate in an hour, so I'm not going to waste any more time trying to explain what I already had to you. All I'm going to say is that you should be at the JFK airport at around six o'clock. And look for a girl who looks like this." My mom reached into her bag and pulled out a folded photograph of a girl with black hair and blue eyes. 

Strange combination. "Isn't she Asian?" Quite frankly, that was the only part I remembered my mom telling me about her.

"Dear God, Jason, yes- she's Filipino."

"She doesn't look Filipino." I had a few friends who came from the Philippines and all of them had black or brown (or both) hair and brown eyes and tan or slightly tan, slightly olive skin. This girl? Pale and blue eyes. Almost as if she was white. "She looks white," I deadpanned, looking at my mom.

She ran her tongue over her bottom lip, infuriated. "I have to leave, Jason. Please watch what you say around her." She shook her head, grabbed her bag then left me sitting alone at the empty bar counter, speechless. Was she actually making me do this? I couldn't drive to school without accidentally scratching someone's car or accidentally driving over the curb. And she expects me to drive with someone else, as in a living human being in the car?

That just certified her insanity.

- - -

Strangely, I managed to get to the airport without damaging the Civic or accidentally driving into a tree and causing danger to other people. The only problem was, I was late- half an hour late- and I didn't think that picking her up late made such a great first impression.

So without thinking, I swerved into one of the parking spots and leapt out of the car, running through the airport in lengthy strides. A few of the security guards sent nasty looks my way, but for some reason none of them acted on suspsicion and pulled me to the side to question me. To be honest, I didn't even know which airline the girl was getting off of-

I stopped running. First of all, I had to catch my breath. Second of all, I didn't know where the fuck I was going. God damn it. 

In desperation, I glanced around me a couple of times, referred to the photo my mom gave me for reference then glanced back up and looked for her. There was no one who matched the picture- had my mom given me the wrong one?I mean, well, there were way too many Brazillian girls who I swear to you were sending flirty looks my way, but I forced myself to ignore the repulsive urge to approach them and maybe take them home and instead fell back into one of the seats.