A Lost Family, Lost Traditions, and The Young Survivor

This story starts like any other

But unlike any other story, this one starts with an egg and the ocean, for you see... The ocean belongs to the Sirens. The many, many, children of the ocean and sky, and the creations of a lonely ocean.

The first thing that all young hatchlings remember is hearing the mating song of their people which is sung for them to learn from within their shells.

But this year was a horrible one for the Siren's of the Green Kelp forest. This year, there is no mating song to greet the new ears within the eggs in the seaweed nests.

In one of the nests, a young still egg-bound Siren sleeps on, dreaming of when he will be older and able to join his brethren in the wide and endlessly blue sea. The small form in the liquid filled egg, twitches a bit as his thumb makes it's way to his mouth.

He is blissfully unaware of the devastation that battle has brought onto his people... who are at this point, all but gone and all of the nests but the one holding him had been destroyed, his gentle and peaceful people all but slaughtered.

The haunting Song of the Siren's would always be sung for the eggs so that they may learn their specific colony's Ritual song.

Yet... the song would not be sung for young Tobias that year, because how could a ritual song be sung when the song keepers float dead around the destroyed nests?