Prologue

The continent of Lleh is ever shrouded in darkness. Smoke and ash have long since flooded the pale blue sky in eternal night, leaving only the soft glow of embers from the volcanic landscape. The land itself is flat and barren. The soot-blackened cliffs of Lleh stretch high above churning seas to make an unscalable, nigh impenetrable wall around the land. And in the center of the land, the only structure that stands over the countless volcanic mouths, and even high above the walls themselves, is a fiery mountain. New ash tirelessly spouts into the sky as streams of molten rock run down the mountain into the vale below.

Yet amidst the hiss of escaping poisonous gases and churning of magma across the continent, there is a moment of utter silence. The world seems still, save the dying cracks and pops of heated stone. And within that moment, from somewhere in the depths of the fire-washed wasteland, there comes a low rumbling sound. The earth trembles as the sounds grow stronger. Columns of lava erupt from the mouths of the land and the sea swells and crashes against the cliffs as the tremors continue to rock the continent.

As the quakes grow ever stronger, the fiery mountain standing proud in the land's center cracks. The cracks spread like a spider's web down the mountainside, and even onto the land below, until the mountain itself loses its foundation and begins to crumble. Molten rock falls away from the structure only to add the sound of grinding stone to the great tremors, and a great fiery chasm opens up in the wake of the mountain.

Flowers of purple and green flame blossom across the fiery grasses of the fissure. Each flower blooms and fades to reveal pointed spires of marble and onyx raising from the lake of magma. The flames lick at the stone and mortar of the spires, but neither stone nor mortar gives way to the unbearable heat as they climb ever higher into the ashen night. As the forest of stone pillars continues to grow, the base of each spire leads into a grand Gothic building, with foundation of steel and brass. And in the center of the immense, rising city, large enough to match the mountain that had been there mere minutes before, is a castle of gold.

The quakes begin to settle as the city's growth reaches an abrupt halt, and only the sound of hissing can be heard from the cooling of molten rock below. Liquid magma becomes solid stone yet again, but the heat and burning red embers remain to cast a soft red glow onto the newly forged city. Only the grounds surrounding the castle remain awash in fire and molten rock, and walls of fire sprout forth from those streams to surround the mighty palace.

The castle itself is built of neither stone nor steel, but of more precious materials. Every brick is forged of pure gold, sculpted with ornate scriptures and images of beasts and men. The vast halls of the palace's interior are adorned with precious stones and metals of every kind. Stained glass windows and sculptures show stories of men bowing to kings and gods, and altars adorn every hall. Were it not for the fire and brimstone on which it took its foundations, it would be the very image of a magnificent cathedral of prayer.

And yet, in the vastness of the castle, and even in the buildings and streets of the city beyond, an ominous presence permeates the very air thicker than the surrounding clouds of ash.

In the core of the castle, at the base of its tallest tower, there is a lone man. A golden crown rests upon his head of jet black hair and a heavy crimson robe covers his broad shoulders. He is seated on a large golden throne as brilliantly adorned as the castle walls. His chin is propped on one arm, face hidden in shadow almost in spite of the flaming torches and golden walls surrounding him. Only his mouth can be seen through the darkness.

Smirking.

-_- -_- -_- -_- -_-

That's the prologue. There isn't exactly a lot of story to work with yet, but go ahead and let me know what you think so far in the comments. If you enjoyed it, a like would be appreciated, and if not...go ahead and like it anyway. It won't hurt you too much.

Chapter One will move into introducing the main characters and plot, so let's see if I can develop characters as well as a setting.