Insidious Chapter 2

In 1986, Carl, a medium, calls his friend Elise to help discover what is haunting Lorraine Lambert's son, Josh. After hypnotizing Josh, Elise attempts to find the location of Josh's "friend", an old woman who appears in photographs of him. After warnings from Josh, she makes her way to his bedroom closet and is scratched on the arm. As a result, Lorraine, Carl and Elise agree that making Josh forget his astral projection abilities is the best thing to do.

Twenty-five years later, Josh's wife Renai is under questioning by a police detective about the death of Elise. Unsettled, Renai rejoins her family as they relocate to Lorraine's house, where Renai witnesses strange occurrences. She suspects that Josh is inhabited by the old woman. The next day, Renai sees a woman wearing a white dress sitting in the living room. Following the cries of her baby throughout the house, Renai faces a woman in white and is knocked unconscious. Lorraine visits Elise's colleagues, Specs and Tucker, to seek an explanation behind the strange events. They call Carl, who attempts to contact Elise using word-dice. Through the dice, they are told to find answers at the "Our Lady of Angels" hospital. Led to the ICU, Lorraine recounts a story of a patient named Parker Crane, who committed suicide many years ago. In Parker's home, they find a black gown and veil as well as newspaper clippings about a killer referred to as "The Bride in Black," who kidnapped and murdered several people while dressed as a woman. It is then revealed that it was not Elise speaking through the dice, but actually Parker's mother.

After Renai recovers, Lorraine insists that she, Renai, and the kids get away from Josh. Carl arrives to drug Josh, who is possessed by Parker, while Specs and Tucker monitor from outside. Josh incapacitates Carl, Specs and Tucker and ambushes Lorraine and Renai when they return to the house. He attempts to choke Renai but is knocked over the head by Dalton. Renai and the children escape to the basement. Dalton falls asleep and returns to The Further to rescue his father.

In The Further, the real Josh, Carl and Elise proceed to Parker's house, where they witness his mother, the woman in white, abusing him as a child, attempting to convince him that his name is Marylyn. Josh finds the room filled with standing bodies—assumed to be Parker's victims. Upon finding Parker's mother, the two engage in a fight. Just as Parker is about to kill Dalton's physical body, Elise saves Josh. After the three escape, they meet Dalton, who assists Carl and Josh to return to the living world. Josh and Dalton wake up as themselves and their memories of their astral projection abilities are forgotten through a process of hypnosis.

Specs and Tucker proceed to go to a family whose daughter, Allison, is in an unexplained coma. Unbeknownst to them, Elise enters the home and approaches Allison. She senses a demonic presence behind the girl and exclaims "Oh my God" as the screen cuts to the title.