Chapter 2

Flame's P.O.V

"No." I whisper to myself. Katniss' knees buckle and she falls backwards. A boy behind us catches her arm and helps her up.

No! They can't do this!

"No! No, Prim, no!" I shout and run towards the stage as she's about to mount the steps. The kids move out of the way straight away and I run towards Prim.

"I volunteer! I volunteer as tribute!" I scream as the Peacekeepers try to hold me back. They move out of the way slowly.

"I believe," Effie says slowly. "we have a volunteer."

"No!" Prim and Katniss both scream at the same time.

Gale takes Prim away and I walk up the stairs in a stiff, robotic way.

"What's your name, darling?" Effie asks. I gulp.

"Flame Hovengrip." I answer dryly.

"Well, well done for volunteering! I bet my buttons your District is proud of you!" She squeals. I look at her in disgust then at the floor again.

"Right, boys next!"

Effie takes out a slip of paper and speaks to the microphone once again.

"Peeta Mellark!"

Oh no. Not Peeta Mellark. Why him?!

Peeta Mellark looks frightened but he walks up the steps steadily and stands in front of the crowd.

Why him?! I still keep thinking why him? The mayor makes another speech but I don't listen because my mind's attention is caught by all of this.

Let me explain. Peeta and I go back a long time. Ever since I was thirteen or fourteen. We were great friends. He was my only friend at that time actually, since me and Katniss didn't know each other that well at the time. After he began taking over the bakery with his family and I began hunting with Katniss and Gale, we hardly spoke like we never met each other before. I maybe talked to him once or twice when I traded at the bakery but that's like small talks like greetings and talking about the weather. How am I supposed to kill him? I actually had a crush on him for a while and I still do but never shown it, well at least I hope I didn't. I'm not sure if it's a crush though, does a crush last for over five or so years? Okay, maybe I'm in love with him but I don't know. Right now, I keep thinking what I'm going to do now that he's with me in the Games.

But hey, the odds are that another one of the other twenty-two tributes might kill him instead of me.

"Congratulations to our tributes, Flame Hovengrip and Peeta Mellark!" Effie shouts happily. Nobody claps.

Instead, everyone kisses their left hand's three fingers and show them two the both of us. It's mostly a sign at funerals and such.

I see my mother frozen in the crowd. Lily is crying into her small hands and Prim is still shrieking in Gale's arms, hitting his shoulders to let her go. Katniss is crying, but also frozen in place like a statue. Seeing them crying for me makes me hard to swallow that large lump in my throat that could make me cry at any moment. But I don't. I'm not going to be a weak target at the Games. Even though I could use Johanna Mason's technique which was to look like a weak snivelling idiot and make herself look weak and when ready, release the vicious killer inside of her I don't because I don't like when people think I'm weak. I just don't, it's not my type of technique.

We're finally taken into the Justice Building where I sit in a neat room on leather couches that make my body relax more.

Lily finally comes in with my mother behind her. Lily hugs me straight away and I pull her on to my lap.

"It's okay, Lils." I whisper to her.

"I got you something for good luck." She says in a hushed tone.

Her fingers unleash a golden pin with a Mockingjay engraved on to it sitting in the palm of her hand.

"Madge gave it to me in school. She said it's for good luck. I didn't really know why I needed luck but I figure you need it more." Lily insists. I kiss her forehead.

"Thanks, Lily." I put on the Mockingjay on my dress and hug Lily one more time and turn to my mother.

"Look, Katniss and Gale will look after you and bring you game. Just look after Lily." I explain. My mother nods and hugs me tightly.

"Just come home, sweetheart." She whispers.

"I," I stop. "I'll try."

I was going to promise but it's hard to promise something like this and I never break my promises. So I will try.

The Peacekeepers escort my family out and Katniss and Prim walk inside.

"Flame, why did you do it? It's my responsibility to look after Prim, not yours!" She sobs. I hug her tightly.

"Katniss, your family needs you. Just promise you and Gale will look after mine, okay?" I say. She nods and I turn to Prim who instantly hugs me.

"Thank you, thank you." She whispers. I kneel down and hug her back.

"It's okay. I'd rather be in the Games than seeing you or Katniss in them." I admit. She sniffles and lets go.

"Promise you'll come home, Flame." Prim says looking at me.

I slowly get up and tell her "I promise to try."

The Peacekeepers usher Katniss and Prim out. I expect Gale to come but he doesn't. I feel a pinch of betrayal and I'm taken out of the building.

I walk through the crowds of reporters with Peeta by my side and Effie in front of us, trying to push the reporters away. Haymitch, our mentor, is already on the train after he had an incident on the stage. Peeta's eyes are already blotchy and I feel sorry for him. I know it's stupid at this time, but not out of guilt, I take his hand and hold on to it tight. Yes, it's stupid to let him know I love him now but when will be right; when we'll thrown into the arena? I don't think so.