Chapter 11

The next morning, Danny and Marnie had been unceremoniously woken up with a deep pounding at their hotel room door. Earlier, Danny and Marnie had both set an alarm on their phones but they were in such a heavy sleep that they slept right through them. His whole pit crew was knocking at his door since they were an hour late on their schedule, causing the two of them to bolt up in surprise and quickly realize what had already happened.

Marnie ran over to her things, she had smartly set her outfit out and put her bag together for race day, and quickly changed. She yanked off her pajamas and hopped into her frayed jean shorts, the front right half of them decorated with gold studs, a white tank top and white Vans high tops.

She grabbed her makeup and toiletries zipper bag and tossed it in her black fringe bag with gold accents before spraying her hair with dry shampoo before pulling it into a textured French braid

She grabbed her makeup and toiletries zipper bag and tossed it in her black fringe bag with gold accents before spraying her hair with dry shampoo before pulling it into a textured French braid. She brushed her teeth and ran out the hotel room wearing one shoe, but she was working on getting herself together. She couldn't say so much for Danny who needed to root through his entire suitcase to find what he needed, soon employing the help of his friends to hurry things along. With teamwork they got him ready and they ran out the hotel doors to find their respective cars to get to the track. They were praying for a clear shot with no traffic.

"Here, Danny, let me drive. Take a rest, I've got this." Marnie said, Danny tossing her the keys as they approached his car.

It was about a half an hour drive to the track, but to Danny it felt like days. He wasn't dreading the race but his stomach was churning unsettlingly. Marnie realized this and knew it wasn't just from hunger since they left without eating breakfast.

"Danny, what are you afraid of?" Marnie asked when she parked the car, turning in her seat with her hands still on the wheel to look at Danny. She was serious and really wanted to dig deep with him. She needed to know.

"Crashing. I'm terrified of crashing again. I barely made it out alive last time, I was so god damn lucky to survive. None of the doctors expected  me to. I'm living on borrowed time, here, and I'm afraid to drive like I have before because that's what nearly got me killed. I don't want to risk it, and I don't think I'm even capable of competing at the same level again. I know exactly what kinds of bad things can happen when I do, and I'm protecting myself."