Prologue

"Marinette, honey, you're going to be late."

"Okay mom, I'll down in a minute!" I yell as I throw the covers off me and run to my bathroom, trying not to trip over my own feet in the process. The truth? I was nowhere near ready.

"Ugh, why did I hit snooze again?" I ask myself as I fix my dark hair into pigtails. Standing there for a minute, I stare at myself in the mirror. Why am I like this? I ask myself as I play with a piece of my bangs. Reality slaps me across the face again as I place both hands on the counter and push myself off and through the partially open door frame, hearing a thump on the wooden door and a ping of pain through my elbow.

"Ouch, jeez." I say irritated as I hold my elbow with my warm hand. I rummage through my clothing drawer and closet and pick out a fuzzy sweater and some skinny jeans. Throwing my shoes on and the contents of my spilled schoolwork into my bag along with my sketchbook, I fling open my door and run down the stairs.

"Good morning mama, morning papa." I smile as I grab a croissant and run towards the door.

"Bye mama, bye papa." I say with a smile and run out the door, the bell ringing, announcing my departure.

I ran down the street with croissant in hand as the entire world flew past me in monochromatic hues. Here's the thing. I'm not like everyone else in this town. I'm not like everyone else on the planet. Some might call me special; others might call me strange. I can't really tell you how people have reacted because I've never told anyone about the way my life is because it is so unusual. Not even my parents know and I have been with them for 17 years. As soon as I was old enough to understand them, they told me a story of people on this planet. A story of how we work. A story of how we are supposed to function. Key words; supposed to function. When people are born, they are assigned a soulmate and earn a small pendent attached to a necklace. You get this the day you are born and you keep it as long as you live. Their soulmate is someone they will meet in their lives that will be more significant to them than they even are to themselves. Someone who will care for them more than anyone. Someone they will love to the end of time. A special person. The world is filled with color and light for these two people and the connection between them is unbreakable. The only time these people lose this light and color is when their soulmate dies. This is the only time you will lose your necklace. You don't take it off, it doesn't break. It's indestructible like the bond these people share.

Their entire world falls apart and the light and color is drained from them... literally. They become colorblind. They still appear in color to others, yet their own visible world is dull. I, however, was born as bubbly as ever. I was happy, energetic and lively my entire life thus far. My world didn't seem abnormal. Yet there was something different about me than everyone else.

I was born colorblind.

I was born colorless.

Yet I still had a pendent.