Chapter 1

Alexander's POV

 I sat in front of my laptop, reviewing an essay I just finished. With a touch of satisfaction, I found no problems with it, and sat back in my chair. My mind started wandering and I soon started to doze off. I felt myself falling and yelped as I landed on the floor.

 "Unnghhh," I groaned, picking myself up. I felt extremely lightheaded as I stumbled into my chair. The words on my screen blurred, and I decided I needed some coffee. I changed into some presentable clothes, grabbed my bag, and went out the door.

 I walked into Woodfeather Cafe and went up to the counter. The place was bustling with people, the loud noise hitting my ears like a truck. Not that I minded noise, in fact I was normally the one making it because of either a fight, a debate, just general dissagreement...Well, point is that it startled me a bunch. Hobbling up to the counter, I saw with dread that the only person available was pure devilspawn. Thomas Jefferson. He smirked when he saw me, not the cruel one he usually wore, something else sparked inside his eyes. Unfortunately, I couldn't identify it before it dissolved as quickly as it came.

 "One black coffee," I muttered. Jefferson leaned over and pouted, his skin touching mine as he shifted. It made my flesh burn but I ignored it.

 "That's not how you greet old friends," he whined.

 "Not the time, nor the place, Jefferson," I growled. He rolled his eyes and tapped something on the register.

 "Whatever you say, egghead," he said, loud enough for everyone behind the counter to hear. James Madison included, obviously. He looked a bit sickly as usual and he glanced over to us, satisfaction glowing in his eyes. Ugh, sure, why not?

 "$2.50," Thomas drawled. I gave him my credit card warily and he took it. I stood by, bag swinging form my shoulders as I waited. Soon Elizabeth Schuyler, one of my dearest friends, took my order to the pickup counter. I mumbled something angrily and strode over to get my coffee. I scanned the cafe for empty tables, but had no luck. I scanned it again for someone familiar, and luckily found John Laurens. He sat next to me in my French class and was often the center of my attention, for he seemed very sweet when he wasn't screaming in the lunch cafeteria with his friends.

 I walked over to his table and smiled. The curly haired boy looked up at me.

 "Hi. Uh, can I sit here?" I asked. John looked around and shrugged.

 "Of course," he replied politely. He smiled sweetly and went back to sketching in his notebook. I sat down and opened my laptop, glancing over to see that he was drawing a turtle. Cute. I started reviewing what I wrote, realizing that there were actually tons of mistakes that I missed. I sipped my coffee, the liquid scorching my tongue.

 "So, what are you majoring in?" John suddenly asked. I choked on my drink and swallowed, coughing.

 "Uuhmm, law and creative writing," I replied hoarsely. I could see John trying not to laugh and I felt my ears growing hot. "What?"

 "Nothing," he said. "You just look adorable when you're flustered." 

 I turned even redder, "I am not flustered!" This only made John laugh, a pleasant sound. Sweet and lighthearted, it reminded me of...Nevermind. It sounded nothing like anyone else I knew, and it was the polar opposite of Jefferson's. I realized I was staring and tried to look hurt, pouting slightly. I huffed and started tapping at my keyboard again. John stopped laughing as concern flashed in his eyes before he realized I was being sarcastic. His eyes started to glow as he looked down and started sketching again with his hair in his face. After a while I strained my neck slightly, catching a glimpse of what he drew. It was of someone typing on a laptop with a slight pout on his face.

 Wait a minute...

 I ignored it and focused on my essay, when I heard a small pitter patter  sound coming from outside. I tensed as I closed my eyes, turning and hoping I wouldn't see what I thought I would see. Yup, definitely raining. I sighed, hopefully it'll pass by the time I leave. But like a lot of things in my life, no such luck. I'd stayed for nearly two hours, and the rain still hadn't stopped. In fact, I heard a loud booming noise, and wasn't surprised when I saw a flash of light across the table. I shuddered as I though of that night. Water flooding the streets, people screaming. I shook my head. No, I couldn't think of that. It was just a thunderstorm, nothing to worry about. Another boom of thunder shook the ground and I let out a small whimper. John looked over at me, he'd (surprisingly) been here the whole time. A nervous look filled his eyes.

 "You alright?" he asked.

 "Y-yeah," I mumbled. John looked slightly skeptical, but just blinked and scooched closer to me. I looked back at my laptop and quickly saved in alarm as the battery was at 1% before the screen went black. I groaned inwardly as I realized I didn't bring my charger. With no other reason to stay, I turned it off.

 "W-well, bye," I murmured. I started packing my things. John watched with an odd look on his face.

 "Do you want a ride? It's raining pretty heavily," he said, eyes wide.

 "Um, actually that would be really nice..." I mumbled, face growing uncomfortably hot. John smiled and closed his notebook. He led me out the door and I immediately felt my legs give out. I felt someone's arms around me as I struggled to breathe. Voices called out to me as I watched in odd calm, witnessing scars being reopened. Scars that should never have to bleed again.

 (A/N I'm drawing a lot of the plot from something I wrote on quotev, if you go on there. It's pretty much the same thing except a lot less realistic and way more cringey. If you think this is bad, just know that I'm saving you from something a lot worse. Have a nice day!)