xvi.

Melanie was never a fan of hospitals and it was typically because of people (both hospital staff and those who were close to her like family and friends) constantly hovering over her, especially her parents. She wanted to be mad that Luke told their parents what had happened but she also knew they had the right to know. They were thankful their daughter wasn't gone for as long as they thought, or even dead for that matter. But the concern they had for both their kids jobs made them want to convince them to change their careers even if they did know that was never gonna happen.

On the positive side, Melanie was getting tons of get well gifts from the staff at her work as well as from the BAU team. Penelope had been bringing her baked goods and Spencer would spend the night and read to her sometimes. Melanie felt bad when it came to Spencer spending time with her rather than his mom.

When it came time to leave the hospital, Melanie couldn't have been more excited. She was ready to get out of the hell hole. Just as she was packing up her things, Luke came rushing into the room.

"Mels!"

She turned around and gave her brother a look. "Who died?"

Luke rolled her eyes as he shook her head. "No one but you gotta come with me. Sam's awake!"

Her eyes widened at his statement. Since her time in the hospital, Sam hadn't woken up from the coma he was in. Granted it was only five days but it still felt like a lifetime. She had visited him once though and she broke down crying.

The girl instantly stopped what she was doing and followed Luke to where Sam's room was. He was currently surrounded by a couple of nurses and a doctor. She peeked in between the spaces of the doctor and a nurse and saw Sam sitting up still looking a bit weak but good nonetheless. When Sam made eye contact with Melanie, a small weak smile formed on his face.

"M-Mells!" He managed to croak out.

Melanie smiled brightly and brushed by the doctor to give her friend a hug. Sam flinched slightly due to his injury but he didn't care. The girl couldn't help but to let the tears escape from her eyes. She began to sob uncontrollably.

"We'll give you guys some time." the doctor told them before walking out with the nurses.

Sam sighed softly and rubbed her back. "Hey now. Don't cry. I know you're sad that my annoying ass is still alive."

Melanie pulled away to wipe the tears from her eyes and slapped her friend's arm. "Not funny, Samuel! You almost died because of me."

Sam shook his head and took her hand into his. "No, I almost died because some asshole shot me and left me for dead." He ran his thumb along her knuckles.

Melanie's bottom lip began to quiver as she shook her head in disagreement. "N-No. You literally almost died because of me. S-Scratch did this."

Sam's eyes widened. "Wait what?"

Luke, who was leaning against the doorframe watching the two friends, sighed softly and walked up to them.

"Mel's right, Sam. It was Scratch who did all of this." He started off. He then began to explain what Scratch's plan was and what he did to Melanie.

"I always knew he was sadistic but...this is just completely diabolical." Sam said. He looked at his friend and gave her hand a small squeeze. "I still don't blame you, Mellie. This isn't your fault. Don't let this get to your head. I hope this makes you a stronger person."

She gave her friend a small smile before leaning down to give him a peck on the cheek. "Love you, Sam. You need to rest. Im checking out today but I'll visit tomorrow...or even later on tonight if I can."