Chapter II

"That time in Iraq, I just can't let it happen to you again. This is ridiculous," Layla complains as a tear rolls down her cheek. "I- I just can't let what happen to you happen this time."

"It won't," I say, "I promise. Come on, let's get the kids."

As we tell the Hayley and Nick it is time to leave, they cry and complain.

"Whe need to tell you something important," Serena says to them.

"Really, what is it?" Nick says as his face brightens and a rush of excitement fills his face. Whenever he hears "something important" he thinks that it is a toy or something fun to play with.

As walk to our car and Hayley asks "What do we have to talk about mommy?"

"We'll tell you in the car," Layla says.

I look straight ahead and try not to cry. I don't want to miss my children from growing up. When I was at the training camp it took me five years to finish training, and that mission, that terrible mission that killed so many of my friends I can't do it. I won't. Whatever Captain Vill wants me to do is for the greater good. I must.

When we are in the car, with our kids in the back, it is dead silent for about two minutes. I know that Layla and I do not know how to break this news to our children. Nick has wandered into our closet and found my Navy uniform. He asked about it and I told him.

"I use this when I go out to war," I said to him.

Ever since my mission in Iraq, and that bullet to the stomach, I was able to stay home for six years, and that is when Layla and I had kids. I haven't ever gone to war with them here, so I do not know how Nick and Hayley will react.

"Okay, Nick, Hayley, I- I am going to go to work for quite a long while," I say to break the silence.

"What! No, No, NO!" Nick and Hayley scream.

I assume that they know who and what I work for, being that I have told them stories about what the war was like between the U.S. and the terrorists. Later on in school they will probably learn about how we won and how evil the terrorists can be.

"We're home," Layla says with sorrow.

I walk inside as slow as I can to absorb the rest of the time I have here, because I might not be coming back. When I get in the house, I walk to my closet and open the door. I look at my uniform and remember all of the people that I left behind at the camp. I smile in the memory of Andy, of Avery, Rob, and the time I met Layla, but then it strikes me. It strikes me like when Josh slapped me across the face. Noah, Kevin, Aron and even Josh. All of those lives claimed in that terrible land. No longer to speak, hear see or touch. I push that thought out of my mind and put the uniform on. The cloth rough wrinkly. Its pattern, entrancing with greens, browns and blacks mixed into a camouflage. Finally, when I complete putting the uniform on, I take a deep breath, and walk out the bedroom door. I stroll into the living room only to see my beautiful wife and kids hugging each other, and sobbing. I quickly join them and soak up the short amount of time I have left with them.

"We packed your things," Layla says sorrowfully.

"Thank you," I say while trying to hold back in tears.

I pick up the duffle bag that they packed my stuff in, and I walk towards a door to enter the garage. When I get in there

I pull of the cover on my Jeep. I steer it into the driveway and get out, then sprint over to my family.

"Daddy!" Hayley screams. We all start to cry together because this might be the last time we will be able to see each other.

"When you're there," Layla chokes, "Be sure to call us."

"I will, I definitely will," I assure her.

When our long hug is over, I turn and walk towards my car.

Let me just say now, that was the worst thing I ever did. Climbing in that car almost led me to death, several hundred times.

"Goodbye," I manage to choke out, "I love you, and I'll be back."

For maybe the last time, I see my family crying together. Huddled in a circle getting as close as they can. When I am about to finally leave I jump out of the Jeep and run straight toward them. Layla has tears running down her tan face. Her big, beautiful brown eyes are swelled and red from her sobbing for so much. Nick and Hayley have their tiny bodies clung onto my uniform as they burst out screaming. This has to be the saddest day anyone in the entire world could ever encounter. Worse than an unexpected death. If I die my poor family will hear it six months after it happens.

"I- I need to go now," I sob loudly.

"Please daddy, tell them that you don't want to go. Tell them that you can't. You won't!" Nick cries out.

"We- we love you," Hayley says mournfully, "Don't go."

"I'm sorry, I have to."

I give Nick and Hayley the largest hug in the world. When I turn to Layla, I pull her in close, and kiss her. She wraps her hands around my waist as I do the same to her. She squeezes me as tight as she can and feels like she will never let go. We both pull away from each other and look into our eyes. I feel a tear streaming down my face and then I gather everyone up for one last hug.

"Goodbye Nick and Hayley. Listen to your mother, she's in charge."

I turn around, walk to my car and get in the driver's seat. I take one last look at my family as they look at me.

"I love you all, and I promise I will be back home very soon."

"Goodbye, we love you!" my family screams and sobs.

Finally, I start the car and drive out of the driveway. When I am on the road, the world seems so much more dreary and depressing when you know that you may not see your beloved family ever again.

* * * *

After countless hours of driving, I finally reached the place I never wanted to see again. The training camp. Where several attacks on American soldiers lives took place. A countless death count, and my terrible parent's death.