Chapter 29: The Search

The bergens and trolls kept walking around Troll Tree and Bergen Town. Branch was looking around the forest, along with the Snack Pack and Poppy and Jinx. Jinx held Branch's shoulder. "I'll go search from the trees. You guys look from down here.".

Branch nodded as Jinx grabbed a vine and swung away. Then Branch looked around and called Lake. "Lake? Lake? Lake! Lake, are you there?".

"Branch, what's over there?" Biggie pointed at as slight dark blue hair, and a dark blue figure. Branch gasped and pushed the twigs and bushes away as he saw Lake kneeling down and looking down at the ground. Her colors were slowly fading to black, and the Snack Pack gasped. "Lake?".

She didn't answer, but then she stood up without turning around. Branch ran to her and hugged her. "I'm glad you're alright.".

He was about to pay her hair, but she grabbed his wrist and stopped him from doing so, then they gasped. "Lake?".

"Why are you here?" Lake asked gloomily at Branch and giving a death stare. Branch gave a bit of a terrified look, then pulled his hand away. "Lake, is everything ok?".

"Why do you care?" Lake said and walked away. Branch saw her hair was shorter than usual, and be started get worried. Branch quickly ran after Lake and grabbed her wrist. But then she slapped his cheek as he hissed and let go of her hand as he held his cheek. "Ah, ow...".

Lake gasped a bit, but she shook it off and walked away. Branch gasped and still ran after her. "Lake! Wait-!".

"Leave me alone! I thought you were busy with Poppy..." she said as Branch furrowed a brow and asked. "What? I was! But only to help me plan the party!".

"What party?" She said as Branch bit his bottom lip. "I can't actually say-...".

"I knew it. I thought I could trust you! And forgetting my birthday?" She said and wiped a tear from her eyes. Branch shook his head and held out a card. "I didn't forget your birthday. I even made you card!".

Lake grabbed it, then ripped it apart. Branch's eyes widened as the Snack Pack and Poppy gasped. Branch felt a bit shock. This wasn't her at all. "Lake, what happened to you? This isn't you...".

"Branch, it's all your fault. I thought you were always there for me..." she said and sat down in front of the lake and staring at her reflection. Branch looked at the Snack Pack who nodded and walked away to give them privacy. Branch slowly walked up to her, and sat beside her. They didn't look at each other, and Branch kept thinking of a way to start of a conversation. "So... happy birthday?".

"Nice try..." she whispered and looked away. Branch sighed and looked at his reflection, then to hers. Her eyes were filled with sadness and disappointment. Boy, he really didn't expect this from her. She was always happy, always so energetic and silly. But now she's depressed, sad, and serious. The total opposite of who she really was. Then Branch held her shoulder as she looked the other way. Branch whispered. "Listen, I'm sorry for not coming to you, immediately. It's because I'm just so busy with-".

"With what?" She asked as Branch rubbed his nape. "Um...".

"See! It's like you don't even need me, anymore..." she said and hugged her knees. Branch smiled nicely and whispered. "I do need you. You're my bee.".

Lake looked at him, her eyes widened as he smiled. She blushed, as well as Branch. He just smiled and cupped her cheek. Lake felt him moving closer and her eyes widened. "Branch, what are you-?!".

But before she could finish, Branch immediately kissed her lips as he closed his eyes. Lake's eyes widened, but started to slowly give in. She tilted her head a bit and kissed him back. She caressed his arms as her colors started to brighten up again. Her hair became longer again and her hair became a brighter blue and so did her skin. Two blue butterflies landed on a branch from the distance and stood next to each other and could see Branch and Lake from the distance. As they slowly part, they both breathed for air as their foreheads touch. Lake then backed away and looked at her hands and then her arms with a surprised look. "I'm... blue again...".

She looked back up at Branch who had a small smile. Lake then smiled as a teardrop fell from her cheek as she tackled Branch and kissed him again. Branch fell on his back and his eyes wide open. But then he kissed her again as they slowly part their lips as they spoke in unison. "I love you.".

A/N

OMG! Our two dork just shared their first kiss! Ah! I'm fangirl-ing right now! What do you guys think? It's almost the end, guys. Last chapter is Chapter 30. So stay tuned everybody!