Epilogue

The room was dark and cold. The echo of a TV could be heard from the living room as a young boy slept peacefully in his bed. Voices like whispers against the drowning laughter of a late night talkshow could seldom be heard arguing in the kitchen. A mans rough voice boomed up to the second floor startling the young boy from his slumber. In haste he set up, his eyes hazy, making the room seem out of focus. His small hands rubbed his eyes to brush away the sleep still in them. The voices grew louder and the boy grew frightened, he looked over his covers and found his power ranger plush. " Come here Tommy." He said with a tired and scared voice as he pulled the green ranger into his arms and held him tight. "You won't let anyone hurt me!" 

The boy, now armed with his trusted companion scooted out of bed. Light from a passing car lit the room as he stepped closer to the door. The room was small, mostly green with a power ranger motif, even the boys clothing was of the Green Ranger and his badass Dragonzrod. 

As he drew closer to the door he heard the man yelling and his mother crying. The talkshow was now drowned out by the furious tone and a smell like burning rotten eggs filled the air. The young boy gagged as the smell over powdered him but he swallowed his vomit and slowly opened the door. He stepped through the thresh hold, gripping his plush even tighter as he walked along the wooden floor. The sound of his feet hitting the floor was over powered by the yelling and laughing from the voices below. The corridor seemed longer in the dim light of the the TV that drifted from the living room, the nasty smell was much stronger the closer he got to the staircase.

Placing his small hand on the bars under the rail, he guided his way down slowly. The wooden stairs creaked and bowed under his feet but the sound was dull against the rising volume of noise before him. His feet hit the living room floor and the front door seemed to have been left open. Looking out into the darkness he felt it stare back, his mind unable to understand the true terror he was seeing only saw outlines of people with glowing eyes. As if they where behind a wall their shadowy hands pounded the air and ripples of space cascade like water against the night. Seeing this he ran into the kitchen, tears in his eyes he looked at the man who stood over an overturned table his crying mother was sitting in front of the stove with her face in her hands. "Mommy!" He cried rushing to her.

The man turned and watched him rush passed. His mother held out her arms as the lights flickered and the TV shut off. " See Maratha, its not safe here! You and the boy need to get out of here! My barriers won't hold out forever!" The man said with force in his voice. 

"W-Where would we go Robert? What would we do? I have no one left to turn to, who would take us in?" She cried. "You can come with me, I can keep you safe and train the boy! It's what my brother would of wanted." He pleaded with Maratha a look of concern on his face. 

" Alex will never be safe, not from them!" She pointed toward the door as growling and scrapping replacement the yelling and evening satire of Conan O'Brian. Robert looked at Alex, the young boy looked back with feat in his eyes. Robert got down to his level and placed a hand on his shoulder. " Alex, I will keep you and your mother safe. There is a lot going on but I need you to trust me can you do that?" Alex nodded and Robert took him from his mother. Maratha stood up whipping the tears from her eyes.

Robert ran out the door, Alex tucked tightly in his arms. He swung his hand and fire blazed the night sky and sent the shadows running deep into the nights darkest depths. They ran with Maratha in toe finally making it to the car and speeding off towards the south.

That night would be the first of many like it for young Alex. Him, his mother and uncle Robert would stay on the move for many years until Alex was ready to fight against the tides of darkness.