0. PROLOGUE

Gasping awake I clutched at my lower abdomen, pain cut through me like rusted blades— carving at my nerves. My eyesight struggled to focus, as though having been estranged from light for an eternity.

Reece...

Despite my desire to taste the joy of life, breathing came as almost an after thought— Reece came first. Life would cease to maintain its value without him— he had become so thoroughly imbued within me.

Wincing, I raised my hand to block the sharp  rays of sunlight blasting through the window. "Annabelle..." The familiar rasp of Reece's deep voice urged me to lower my hand, his large frame relieving it of its task in blocking out the sunlight. "Annabelle." He sighed, stress leaving his broad shoulders in a rush of relief.

Scanning his tormented features, I reached for him— needing to feel the warmth of his skin against mine. His bearded jaw sank into my palm as he lowered to his knees. Closing his eyes, he kept my hand in a firm grip— reassuring himself that this moment was real. "I'm here, Reece...I'm not going anywhere." Ignoring the pain in my throat, I croaked out the words he needed to hear.

Sensing my discomfort, he reached for the glass of water resting on the bedside table. Holding the straw to my lips, he urged me to drink. "If you hadn't of woken up-" pressing my hand to his lips, I smiled. Grief, victory and responsibility were to one side; Reece and I, to another.

"Marry me." His bloodshot irises scanned my features— eyebrows sinking together in confusion— as he cupped my cheek.

"I fucking plan to-" chuckling, I shook my head.

"Right here, right now." I clarified. Wasting even another minute felt wrong. I hadn't expected to walk away from the fight I'd chosen, I'd taken that path with a singular destination in mind- death.

It wasn't until I found myself bleeding out in his arms that I realised I wasn't ready. Reece and I were still unfinished business. His love, my need for him kept me tethered to this world and now, I wanted nothing more than to be his in every single way. "Annabelle, you just woke up...I need you to rest-"

"And I need you." Reaching for the silver chain around his neck, I studied the wedding bands that hung from them. One large and masculine, the other smaller with a single diamond embedded within the gold. Swallowing, he nodded slowly. Pressing his lips to my hand he surrendered to the only weakness he had, me.

***
"Listen, this is completely unorthodox- we don't recommend a stressful environment for the patient right now, she's still recovering." One of the senior nurses charged in, attempting to usher Ward and a few of our men out of my room.

Unflinching, Ward remained rooted with Nick at his side. Shuffling by the window, Alex offered me a half smile before drifting off deep in thought. He hadn't spoken a word since he'd arrived, to anyone. "Nurse, I know you're only doing your job but I swear if you fuck with my wedding right now you're going to need a couple stitches yourself." I explained, in my opinion, totally amicably.

Smirking down at me, Reece fastened his hold on my hand. "Don't fret, Jose is in the house." Announcing his presence, Jose the official town gangster and unofficial town jester, pushed into the cramped room. Slapping the back of his head Torjan's unexpected frame followed behind. Reece tensed, his attention pinning the tattooed, pierced brute moving to one corner. Rubbing the back of his hair, Jose frowned at Trojan's intimidating frame— disapproving of his cousin's insulting action.

Entering shortly after Marco, Reece and Trojan's father, brought the reverend to officiate our wedding. Recovering quickly Jose waved around a tattered blue baby blanket. "I got the goods, somethin' blue-" tossing the item over my lap he placed a bunch of weeds over it, "- bouquet of flowers." Rubbing his dirt covered palms over his jeans he gave Reece a lopsided smile.