Chapter 4: Great to Worse

Ava POV

I walked into the candlelit restaurant that was completely empty, smiling ear to ear. After 7 years, my husband still had that romantic touch that surprised me. We sat down in the back, where bottles of champagne and rose petals were sitting on the table.

"You like it?" He smiled, sliding in the booth next to me.

"I love it, it's beautiful," I cheesed like a little girl who had a crush all over again. He kissed my cheek.

"You look beautiful, babe," He said, sending butterflies through my stomach. Eli had rented out the whole restaurant for the night so we were laughing, talking, eating, and even dancing like fools all night.

Once we finished feeding each other cheesecake and drinking cups and cups of bubbly, Eli pulled out a box. I smiled looking at him for permission to open it.

"Go ahead," He chuckled. I opened the lid to see a beautiful necklace with my birthstone, Topaz, on it. I gasped, kissing him.

"Baby, it's beautiful!" I squealed. He took it from me and placed it around my neck.

"I'm glad you like it," He said, pulling out another box, much smaller than the other one.

"Another one, Eli?" I said, grabbing the box.

"Dang, hold on, greedy," He laughed, pulling the box outta my arms reach. "This one is for later."

I pouted and we left the restaurant, heading toward the five star hotel not too far from the restaurant. Eli had already reserved the presidential suite for us on the last floor. My excitement grew more and more as the night went on. Elijah really knew how to surprise me.

After observing the romantic, dark room, we decided to get in the jacuzzi. A bikini in my favorite color was already laid out on the bed for me. We got in and began to kiss passionately, like it was our first time.

"Why do you love me like this?" I asked, with my arms around his neck.

"You're beautiful," He pushed a strand of my wet, curly hair behind my ear. "You're smart, you helped me grow, you stick by me through whatever and you're great mother to my kids."

"You think so?" I asked, doubting my good mothering skills in the past few months.

"Yes, the kids love you," He assured. "I know I be on you about not being home with the kids as much but baby you're amazing when it comes to them. You gotta know that."

I smirked. "Take me to the bed."

"Yes ma'am," He said, picking me up with my legs wrapped around his waist. I planted kissed on his neck as he turned off the jacuzzi and took me to the bed. He threw me on the bed.

I bit my lip, staring up at him lustfully. "Babe, I forgot to take my pill this morning, do you have condoms?"

"Actually..." He pulled out the little gift box he showed me at dinner.

"What's that?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Open it," He said, handing me the box. I popped open the top and removed the cotton, to find a pacifier. Confused, I looked at Elijah for an explanation.

He chuckled. "I want another one."

I raised my eyebrow again. "Another...baby?"

"Yeah," He whispered, kissing my neck. "Lets make one right now, babe."

"Eli, I can't," I quickly put the pacifier back in the box and closed it. He stopped kissing me and looked at me.

"What?"

"I can't have another baby, at least not right now," I sighed. "Baby, my career is booming right now and I can't afford to have any distractions."

"Distractions? Ava are you kidding me?" He stood up. "You calling our family a distraction?"

"That's not what I said, Eli, just stop. Please," I pleaded, knowing I got him all mad.

"Fuck that, Ava. You know how much I wanted a family with you and all you ever do is just keep pushing us to the side ever since you got the CEO position," He complained. "I feel like I'm losing my wife."

"Elijah, you're not losing me-"

"Man, whatever. I'm going to sleep," He walked over to his side of the bed and slid under the blankets. Once he turned off his lamp, I groaned, stripping out of my bikini and into a dry t-shirt.

My kitty cat was throbbing, wanting Eli inside of her but since that clearly was not happening tonight, I decided to watch tv until I fell asleep too.

---

The next morning, me and Eli drove home in silence. Once again we were at war and I hated it. It was the worse ending to our anniversary. We arrived home to find police all over our house. Great, more icing on the cake.

I instantly ran out the car to check on my babies. Elijah was behind me as I ran towards an officer by the door.

"Is everything okay? Where are my kids?" I questioned.

"Are you two the owners of this house?" He asked.

"Yes, what's the issue?" Eli repeated, just as panicky as I was.

"We have a warrant out for a Mr. Justice Mitchell. He has multiple charges against him," The officer explained.

"What? My brother? That can't be correct," I shook my head in disagreement. "Justice didn't do anything."

"Well we have charges of possession of cocaine, marijuana, and multiple other illegal drugs, solicitation and selling of these drugs, and also possession of weapons."

"Why the fuck are y'all always trying to bring a black man down for something he didn't do?" I yelled in frustration.

"Av, calm down," Elijah pulled me away but I broke away from him.

"Eli, let me go! They are not going to wrongly charge my brother for things he didn't do!"

"Ava! Chill," Eli said in my ear, harshly. We saw Justice being brought out in handcuffs.

"Don't worry, J, we'll come get you," I yelled out. He kept his head down, going toward the police car as Diane cried by the door with the kids in front of her. Elijah pulled me to the side.

"Ava, we gotta talk," He said seriously.