Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“Lionkit,” Emberpaw heard the wail all the way across the clearing. “Lionkit, wake up!”

Emberpaw saw cats crowding the den and continued to pick moss from under her claws. She watched as Tigerlily emerged from the den and drew the cats back, a look of annoyance on her face. She then disappeared back into the nursery.

A slow minute passed. Then, Tigerlily emerged from the den. “Lionkit has starved to death,” She mewed solemnly.

Sunfade leapt over to the nursery and disappeared inside.

Emberpaw winced at the hunger clutching her belly. Famine had struck all of the ShadowClan cats after a heavy freeze. Emberpaw watched as Greenpine moved past her. She could practically count the ribs on the black she-cat.

Just then, Pebbletooth led the hunting patrol through the thorn tunnel and into the camp. There was a defeated look on his face, and his tail dragged in the snowmelt behind him. Grayfern and Paleleaf followed him, their eyes dull with exhaustion. Ravenpaw pushed through the brambles, carrying a scrawny mouse. She took it to the nursery.

Sparrowpaw limped into the camp after her. He carried with him a large rabbit.

“How’d you manage to catch that?” Emberpaw’s mouth watered as Brokenleg called out.

“It was pure luck,” He answered. “Paleleaf chased it right into my paws.”

“I wish that the prey would come out.” Longclaw sighed. Beside him, Hawkflight nodded his agreement, his head rested on his paws.

Grayfern crossed the clearing as Sparrowpaw dragged the rabbit to the nursery. Emberpaw watched in anguish, and Grayfern gave her a sorrowful look.

Goldenshade moved from the warriors’ den. “We have to keep trying.” She meowed. Her voice was laced with fatigue. “Hawkflight, Mothshadow, Blackpaw, Emberpaw, and Eaglewings,” She turned her head. “Can you please go hunting?”

Emberpaw found the energy to stand and crossed the clearing to where Mothshadow reluctantly had gotten to her paws. Blackpaw’s tail briefly rested on her shoulder in reassurance, and Mothshadow led the way from the camp.

Emberpaw was surprised that her brother hadn’t been snarky as usual. His blue eyes were droopy as he trudged through the pines. He must be so asleep that he doesn’t even want to be rude to me, Emberpaw thought.

Emberpaw looked out into the silent forest. She was determined to feed some of the cats in her Clan, even if it meant searching for the rest of the day. She trotted forward, silent on her paws. No cat spoke, as if not wanting to scare away any imaginary prey that might be dwelling between the trees.

Hawkflight looked up as a tiny songbird chattered. He saw it in the tree and licked his lips.

Emberpaw glanced at the bird in annoyance. He was all the way up in that tree! How could she hunt it from there?

Just then, she unsheathed her claws. It was time for her ThunderClan heritage to really kick in. “I’ll get it,” She whispered. Before anyone could retort, she lunged at the trunk of the tree and sunk her claws in.

She forced herself upward before sinking her claws into the branch. The pine instantly bobbed under her weight, and the bird took off.

Emberpaw rushed after it, leaping from the branch and swatting it from the air. She felt a rush of terror as she crashed through the tree branches below her. She landed on a firmer lower branch, her pads itching with fear.