Rely On Me Chapter 34

Notes: Well. It sure has been a long time. I can just hear your enteral screams when you see there's a new chapter. This sorry might end on chapter 35, I'm not sure yet. Buuut, you've all been waiting for so long. This chapter isn't really long, I'm sorry. But, Im working on the next one as soon as I get this up on AO3, so enjoy ;)

"Was coming here as bad as you thought it would be?" (Y/n) asked as she and Ford sat staring at Bill's statue.
"No, not nearly as bad as I anticipated." Ford gently started squeezing her shoulders as he stared at the statue. "(Y/n)... what do you think when you look at him?" The man questioned. She thought for a few moments, examining the statue from her seat on the ground.
"Well... It's hard to think that something so small could cause people so much pain. ... I still think it looks like a lawn decoration though." Ford laughed at that.
"So you really just think he looks like a lawn decoration? That's it?" She shrugged, laughing.
"I don't know! Listen, it's harder to process things that aren't human!" Ford shook his head, smiling.
"You're really something else. I don't think I've ever met someone who's initial reaction to Bill was that he looked like a gnome. I don't know what kind of gnomes you've seen, but I've certainly never seen one that looked like this." The girl laughed.
"Listen, if he had horns and looked more humanoid, I wouldn't think he looks like a gnome. But some people just have weird lawn stuff okay!" Ford snorted, resting his chin on her head. Neither one of the said anything for a while, until (y/n) broke the silence.
"... Why do you leave it here? Why not get rid of it, or beak it, or... something?" Ford released a shaky sigh.
"... Honestly? ... I'm afraid of what will happen if I move it. I'm afraid that if I break it he'll somehow be released. When you touched it... I felt like my heart stopped. I was so scared that something was going to happen as soon as you made contact. I.... I don't know." His grip around the girl tightened with each sentence he spoke. As worried as she was to question him, she knew she needed to.
"But... he CAN'T come back.. right? It's not possible, is it?" (Y/n) spoke slowly, worried she might set him off.
"I... I don't know. I want to think that it isn't possible, but I can't say that with absolute certainty. ... Sometimes I feel like my nightmares are really him. They're so similar to the times I actually conversed with him in dreams. I know enough about the human psyche to understand that dreams are very similar to things we've experienced. I'm aware that dreams are influenced by what we see, watch, and read. I try to tell myself that they're just nightmares... But I wouldn't put it past Bill to stay hidden away and haunt me from afar. Bill would want me to have a false sense of hope." (Y/n) took a deep breath, processing everything Ford had said.
"Would the statue still be here if he was out and about?"
Ford shook his head slightly.
"Doubtful. My worry is that he still inhabits the statue." The girl thought for a moment, trying to come up with completely sound logic. Logic Ford couldn't argue with.
"So, You think that if the statue breaks, he could potentially go free, right?" Ford only nodded in response. "You would also agree that this statue is made of stone, correct?" He nodded again. "... Would you also agree that, even without  human intervention, stone will old day crack or break, due to the unpredictability of nature?" Ford nodded once again hesitantly, and said,
"I don't think I like where this is going." (Y/n) stood up.
"It's going to break one day. That's out of your control. Why don't we break it right now, to rid you of the fear?" Ford's eyes went wide.
"Right now?" (Y/n) nodded.
"Yes. Right now."