A Silent Cry

The water currents are gentle today, the gentle undertow hardly an obstacle for even mere children and young Pokémon unaccustomed to water.

An ideal example, per se, of the calm before a storm.

. Lugia's POV .

The warm waterflow carried me through the ocean water, a small cluster of small Pokémon racing to catch up with me. Although with my large size a light flick of my wings could have easily swept the playful hatchlings away in a clear warning, I let out a small snort and sent them home to their mothers, no doubt worried about their wandering young.

Speeding through the waters, I began swimming towards a cry for help I had heard. Being one of the strongest Pokémon of the waters and the commonly proclaimed 'guardian of the sea' came with many obligations. Obligations that ate at my sleep and my time, no matter my condition or opinion—I was created solely for the purpose of others.

Nearing the beautiful reef that decorated the more sheltered areas of the ocean, I almost hadn't caught sight of the delicate squirming body of the Gorebyss almost camouflaged with the brightly colored corals. With a quick nip at the fishing cord in the spot she couldn't reach, no doubt from ignorant human fishermen, she quickly sped off without a single word. There usually weren't words a gratitude or small talk of any sort to me—me who craved attention and companionship, yet was always met with none.

Even Pokémon were flawed.

I leant into the currents again, letting them carry me to sea for a good time—nowhere in particular, just away from everything. Then I let my psychic powers broaden their reach to touch on the four islands, sweeping through the caverns to feel the curves of the walls and check on the auras within.

I shot up, startled by the closeness of a human to my quarters. I didn't know how long it had been since I has scanned the caves, maybe a couple of hours or so, but most humans didn't make it through the twisting tunnels and underwater caves to reach the hidden area.

My stomach twisted at the possibilities as I raced back, sending enormous waves of water bound to hurt the humans even from this far into the water from the sheer power. Truth be told, I couldn't have cared less at moment.

. . .

Closing onto the island with my quarters I dipped down, entering through a passage hidden by aquatic plants and unlocked through only strong psychic power. I could feel the human as if it was cradling me in its dirty arms and that disgusted me.

I roared, bursting through the calm surface of the pool of the hidden cave and shaking stalactites from the ceiling. I had meant to keep my emotions in tact but perhaps it was a few hundred years too early for me to be able to. I could feel the ocean beginning to rumble in synch with my feelings, curling in waves and spiraling in circles.

The human was somewhat admirable, her eyes trained on me, unwavering. The egg nestled in her arms was hardly jolted as she stood her ground. Barely batting an eye, she squared her shoulders and reached for her belt to fight. The true ideal of what humans call 'heros.'

But that's what makes them so susceptible to death, isn't it?

"Human, put down the egg. It is most important to the both of us that you do so and leave this place immediately, for more so your sake than mine," I tried to reason telepathically. An irritated growl escaped my jaws as I felt the message bounce back—non-psychic humans were even more useless than the others. From the back of my mind, I could feel a nagging feeling begin to rise.

The egg she protected was more than an ordinary egg, rather it was to be the next Lugia. Given the power it was supposed to have when hatched, the vessel pulled in life from any living creature that touched it. When I felt my powers beginning to weaken in the future, I was meant to cradle it for seven days and nights to let it take my life and capability in exchange for its own.

If it took that long to take my immense power, one could only imagine how long it would take to steal the life and power from an ordinary human.

A twinge of guilt wormed its way through my heart as I inhaled, gathering winds in my lungs and strengthening them. Even so, a human life was dispensable whereas having a Pokémon meant to have the power to protect the ocean and all those in it was not.

Breathing out, I held her Pokéballs closed as to not hurt any more creatures than necessary. I watched as her face contorted into one of panic as they wouldn't open, felt the anguish of the Pokémon she had bonded with so dearly in the capsules—

—and watched as she fell before my Aeroblast had even hit her.

The egg levitated and glowed a mystical light, enveloping her body as if a vortex with speeds of 235 miles per hour weren't hitting them. With a high pitched squeal the vessel filled the cave with light, blinding even I, and revealing a small Lugia on the cave floor.

It squeaked at me, small head weakly lifting off the ground before flopping down tiredly.

I was paralyzed from where I hovered about the pool, water still dripping from my body when I had burst through the surface. There wasn't meant to be more than one Lugia in a timeline.

A small fleeting thought crossed my mind: if I put an end to it now, a new egg would spawn over time and no problems would be made. Simultaneously, I was also reminded on how alone I always felt being the only Lugia and how I was always busy doing things for others who I felt acted ungrateful and selfish.

I wanted to be selfish too.

. . .

With this the clouds really begin to pour, the waves clawing desperately at all it reaches.

Order is out of balance but like the storm, it will pass soon.

fin.

PokemonWritingLeague