Chapter Three:David's Diary

June 13th 2008:
The Wife says that journals help alleviate stress, and retain memories. She always has some new way to make me feel like I have some sort of mental deficiency. She says she’s going to read it for a few weeks to make sure that I actually write in it. Pretty rude if you ask me, I don’t think she’d like it if I went reading through her journal… if she keeps one. But you know what they say, “happy wife, happy life.” So, I guess I’ll just do what she says.

June 15th 2008:
Well, I got a gold star for my last entry, so I suppose I’m doing something right… for once. So I guess I should write about what happened today… well Cheyenne, our daughter, came home today talking about her day with my mother. Mom loves taking her to the ice cream shop up the road. She also talked about her friend she met while playing in the woods. I don’t like her going out there alone. She says she wants to go over to her friend’s next door house tonight. Maybe I can actually have some playtime of my own, with my special friend!

June 16th 2008:
Slept with my wife for the first time in about two weeks, got to say, if anything alleviates stress, it would be a nice shag like that. Cheyenne is coming home in a few hours so I guess I should get dressed, wouldn’t want her to be scarred! The first time I saw my dad naked, I think I blacked out, there are just some things kids shouldn’t see.

June 20th 2008:
Today, Cheyenne came to bed with us for the first time in about five years. She said the monsters outside her window were trying to get in. But she’s only eight, so what are you going to do about it, right? I think I was scared of monsters ‘til I was about nine or so, so it’s not anything out of the ordinary.

June 21st 2008:
Cheyenne hasn’t been eating a lot, and she looks kind of pale. I try talking to her, but she just says she’s fine. Mom should be coming to get her soon. Maybe she can talk to her.

June 22nd 2008: 
Mom says she’s worried about Cheyenne, says that she isn’t acting right. The wife thinks we should take her to a psychiatrist… as if we weren’t out of money already. But if it will help Cheyenne, then I suppose it’s okay.

June 24th 2008:
Well, Cheyenne isn’t doing so hot with the psychiatrist. She hardly talks, and when she does she just talks about the monsters out her window. The psychiatrist thinks it’s some kind of coping mechanism for something traumatic. The man asked if the wife and I were arguing, or fighting, he obviously doesn’t know what kind of a spineless man I am…

June 26th 2008:
Cheyenne won’t sleep in her room anymore, she say when she does the “tree man” talks to her. I hope she gets over this soon, can’t really have some bedtime play when the kid in the bed.

July 2nd 2008:
Well it’s been awhile and Cheyenne seems to be getting worse. Now she won’t talk at all, she just sits there in the living room staring out the window, she hasn’t slept in her room, and she keeps waking up screaming, I can’t sleep well enough to function at work anymore, and the Boss says I need to shape up, or I may wind up out of a job. This whole situation is fucked.

July 4th 2008: 
Last night at about 3 in the morning Cheyenne woke up screaming again, pointing at our door, she wouldn’t talk, just cry. I got fed up and grabbed the bat beside the bed and went into the hallway. Cheyenne’s window was open, and her bed sheets were strewn across the room. I looked out the window, but nothing was there. Some sick b*****d must be trying to kidnap her, I called the cops, but they said they couldn’t find anything to suggest forced entry…I swear if I see that creep I’ll cave his skull in.

July 5th 2008: 
Cheyenne talked for the first time in ages today. She said the tree man doesn’t like her hiding from him. I tried to get more out of her, but she just kept talking about this tree man. She says he just wants to play, I don’t like this, maybe Cheyenne should stay with my mother for a bit, after that ordeal with her room, I don’t like the idea of someone breaking in with her here.