Prologue

"What do you see when you look at me?" he demands his eyes the darkest shade of blue, nearly blackening.

"I wish I would only see the man I love but I don't...." I start saying not thinking about what it actually was I was saying, simply letting the words flow out, finally telling him the truth.
".. I see a little boy hiding behind the exterior of a tough, bad boy.
I see the walls you've build up. The walls you build up and won't let anybody tear down. Walls which are supposed to protect you from pain and hurt but will end up hurting you in the long run..." I say, watching as his face turns darker and darker and his jaw set, telling me he does not like the fact that I am able to read him.
"..the walls you won't let me tear down, the walls you use as an excuse to keep me out.
You're running away ,Alex. You're running from me but you can't run from the truth, you can't run from your feelings.
I dont know how long I can keep chasing you, Alex....I'm starting to lose my grip ......on you......on us" I finally conclude doing everything to keep myself from crying and thanking God that we are currently standing in the middle of the street in the dark while it's raining.

I finally look him in the eyes having finished say the things that were long overdue. I look into his eyes and what I see is too much for me to handle, I recognize that look, but it's what he says that truly breaks me on the inside.

"I'm not running from you" he growls, his telling me that whatever he says next has no other intention that to hurt me.

"I'm simply not chosing you"