Boracay's Pearl

Paradise. This is how people describe this globally known Island called Boracay. It boasts its sugar-fine white sand beaches, crystal clear water, rich marine life, caves, and the warmth of the locals. People from all over the world were drawn to visit this small island to explore its beauty. But behind its breathtaking attractions, there are crushed souls who lives in this so called paradise.

The scenery was so awe-inspiring the people failed to notice the girl sitting at the edge of the cliff, the sound of the waves crushing on the rocks was so loud, they did not hear her shouting her frustrations out loud. Though she knew it was dangerous to be there, she felt safe and powerful, like she controls everything as far as her eyes can see.

She loved watching people from above, at least for a moment she was the one who was looking down on them. As she watched the people doing their stuff, she wondered. She wondered how those people be so happy, she wondered why they enjoyed every moment of their lives. She asked why she cannot be like that, living the life to its finest and be genuinely happy. Her young eleven year old mind could not comprehend why her life is difficult. A sharp pang of jealousy builds up in her chest and once again she started to hate all of them. This is her everyday routine. She wanted to stay at the cliff a little longer but she knew she needed to leave to help her mom sell souvenir bracelets for tourist.

On her way home, as she walked barefoot on the sand, someone called her.

"Tisay!" the woman called her but she acted like she did not hear it.

Because of her white complexion everyone who knew her called her Tisay, everyone except her mom. Her mom called her by her name, Mutya. When she was seven she realized how different she looked from her friends and classmates, that was when her mother told her that her father was a foreigner. When she asked where and who is her father, her mom got mad and told her not to ask anymore questions about her father.

“Tisay!” the woman called her again as she sprinted towards her.

“I told you, I don’t like it!” Tisay said as she increased her speed in walking.

“Just listen to me first!” the woman shouted. Tisay stopped on her tracks and turned to face the woman.

“I told you--”

“Maybe you can reconsider my offer.”

“I don’t want-”

“But you need money.” The woman said.

“Yes, but--”

“What? You’re the most beautiful girl in the Island, you’ll surely earn a lot of money.” The woman grin to her.

“but my mom, she’ll.--”

“Oh! Don’t mind your mom. You said she didn’t even care about you and she was once like this.”

“What do you mean?”

“Where do you think you came from? Didn’t you notice how different you look like? You’re a smart kid. Do the math. I have to go, let me know if you change your mind. Just go to my place and ask for me, everyone calls me Madame.” The woman said and left with a smirk on her face and Mutya puzzled.

When she got home, her mom was busy making bracelets to sell.

“Oh! Mutya! Where have you been again?!” her mom shouted at her. “Why don’t you just help me do this stupid bracelets so you’ll have worth in me!”

“Yes, mama.” Mutya worked silently. She has many questions in her mind but she knew her mom would just shout at her and won’t answer her questions. But she wanted to try, she wanted to take the risk. She wanted to know who she really is, who is her father, why he is not here, why her life needs to be miserable. She wanted to know what happened. She wanted to feel loved and cared for. She wanted to feel complete. She battled herself for two hours before she mustered the courage to ask.