~*1* Ray *1*~

I wasn't so sure about going to Jade Academy. For one, most will assume from my name that I'm a SeaWing. No. Not 'Ray' as in 'Manta Ray', or 'Stingray', but Ray as in 'Ray of light' or 'Ray of sunshine'. There. Do you have it now? Good.

Another thing that had a pretty good possibility that it was going to stand out was my scar, running all the way across my left flank and a couple extra slashes along my back legs.

When I first landed on the mountain, it didn't seem so bad. Until, that is, a Rainwing dragonet that didn't look a moon above three started wailing and holding its mother in a death hug.

Three moons, I hated dragonets. Technically I'm still one myself, being almost seven moons old, but that doesn't mean I can't be mature enough to resent the whining, needy creatures. I scanned the cave, trying to figure out what I was supposed to do.

Ugh. Bright yellow, pink, green, and blue flowers spelled out 'Welcome to Jade Academy!' on a large banner spanning one wall of the ginormous cave. It was over the top, way too colorful. What I wouldn't give for the pale, dusty tan of the desert sands right now.

I spotted a fellow Sandwing from across the cave and almost went over to join up with them, but it turned out to be Scorch. Ew. No. Apparently I clearly looked lost, because a purple tinted Nightwing practically bounced over to me with clear excitement.

"Hm...let's see...Sandwing, Sandwing, Sandwing...are you Jackal? I'm right, aren't I!" She grinned goofily, before extending her talons for me to shake. "I'm Fatespeaker, nice to meet you Ja--"

"Jackal is almost the worst dragonet I've ever met."

"O-okay. So, you're...Sahara?" She peered even closer at me, trying to figure out the mystery of who I was.

"No. Sahara's...okay, actually. She's quiet. Covered in scars, though."

"I wouldn't exactly say that you're scales are perfectly clear either!" A voice from behind me piped up. Turning around, I saw a blue-purple Seawing slide to my side. Almost the color of a blueberry, with too much blue to be solid purple. Not counting the streaks of light blue in the tail and on the wings and face. More like a gradient of purple to blue on the wings, though. He was...handsome. Really, really handsome.

I realized my jaw was hanging open and quickly closed it. Talons and tails, Ray, what are you even thinking? The Seawing was almost smirking at me---scratch that, he WAS smirking at me. Who does he think he is?! I flicked my tail, letting him know I wasn't pleased.

Ms. Hyper, I mean, Fatespeaker , cleared her throat awkwardly. "So, what's your name?"

"Ray." I tried not to visibly wince, preparing for the laughter and jokes.

"...but you're a Sandwing." The blueberry Seawing was visibly confused, dramatically cocking his head to the side and furrowing his brow in thought.

"Ray of light. Ray of sun. NOT Manta Ray, Stingray, or whatever fishy ray names you can think of."

"I used to know a Ray." The Seawing spoke, examining me thoughtfully.

"Well, I'm not them. So get lost."

"No, no, no." Fatespeaker cut in, shaking her head in a way I think she meant to be sympathizing with us, but it really just looked as if she was saying 'Poor little dragonets, they always get mad at each other. That's why we shouldn't allow them to think for themselves.' She probably has some evil intentions, I'm just telling you now. Cross my talons and hope to die.

"You're clawmates." She stated, making it sound as if it was final.

"C-clawmates?!! What're those?!!" I exclaimed, pretending I didn't know to buy some time to get out of this mess.

"Where you and another dragonet share a cave. It helps with bonding!" Fatespeaker beamed.

The Seawing looked about as enthusiastic as I did for a moment, before smiling sneakily.

"At least I'll know where to find you if I wanted someone to annoy." He chuckled.

"I wouldn't be so quick to judge, clawmate ." I growled.

"Whoa, hold up, both of you. Stop being violent. It's giving me a headache--oOH, a vision! I predict you're going to love each other. Now go. Here's the list of winglets. You have a couple days to explore before classes start." With that the Nightwing shoved a scroll in my hand and hurried to help another dragonet.

I sighed and unrolled the scroll.

'Welcome to Jade Academy!'

Jade Winglet

Seawing: Pufferfish
Rainwing: Tarantula
Nightwing: Eclipse
Skywing: Topaz
Sandwing: Sahara
Mudwing: Egret
Icewing: Igloo

Gold Winglet

Seawing: Oyster
Rainwing: Parakeet
Nightwing: Mindbender
Skywing: Glide
Sandwing: Cactus
Mudwing: Heron
Icewing: Snowdrift

Silver Winglet
Seawing: Jellyfish
Rainwing: Shimmer
Nightwing: Shadowstalker
Skywing: Torch
Sandwing: Scorch
Mudwing: Salamander
Icewing: Beluga

Copper Winglet
Seawing: Lionfish
Rainwing: Cockatoo
Nightwing: Moonbeam
Skywing: Crimson
Sandwing: Solar
Mudwing: Cypress
Icewing: Shard

Quartz Winglet
Seawing: Dolphin
Rainwing: Blossom
Nightwing: Stormfighter
Skywing: Amber
Sandwing: Jackal
Mudwing: Guppy
Icewing: Frost

Bronze Winglet
Seawing: Polyp
Rainwing: Canopy
Nightwing: Dreamcatcher
Skywing: Pyro
Sandwing: Ray
Mudwing: Mahogany
Icewing: Polaris

I frowned as I noticed my name in the last one. Also, what was with the specific species? What about hybrids?! Then I realized there was another side for hybrids, with winglets for certain mixes. Probably so they wouldn't be teased by others of 'purebred' status.

I also realized another thing. Now I knew that annoying, pompous Seawing's name.

Polyp.