Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I come home sometimes around seven. Mom is making pepperoni sandwich and dad is probably sleeping. Bethany is making a school project on her laptop at kitchen.

“Hey love. You good?” mom asks.  I look excessively exhausted. The night duty didn't tire me, it never does. I just can't shoo away my thoughts about the piece of paper from last night.

I get into my room. I take a bath and Bethany comes along shortly after. She is sixteen, she is usually breaking and wrecking things and never bothers to knock.  

“You seem, different.” Beth says.

“Oh man I didn't sleep last night.” I frown.

“That's nothing new. I am not a baby, I can smell something is wrong with you.”

“You can't smell anything. I use deodorant.” I throw a pillow at her.

“That was a metaphor. Anyway, something wrong with Blake?” she asks.

My heart misses a beat, “How do you know I'm going out with Blake?”

She starts laughing which turns into a hysteria, “You're so easy! I just threw a pebble in the dark! Oh girl!”

“That's too much!” I murmur. I don't know why I feel so edgy today.

“Anyways, if you wanna talk about your heartbreak, you've got an ear. I am available. But for now I gotta go to school.” she runs away just the way she came.  Sometimes I wonder whether Beth is a twenty five years old stuck in a body of sixteen year.

I love Beth, a lot. It's not only a love for sibling which most people feel. I love her because she was so much wanted in this family. I always felt alone in my childhood when my parents went for their jobs. I kept praying for a sister to come around as a gift. It didn't happen until I was eight. After Bethany came I forgot that she's my sister. I used to tell people that Beth is my daughter. No wonder all those years of playing with female dolls made me motherly.

I roll into my bed. I want to think about something good. About what a nice family I got,  how charming my prince Blake is. But all comes into my vision is the whiteness of Kate’s face before I failed the last swerve.

My phone dings. I check. It's a message.

Unknown : Hey gorgeous.

Umm who is this?

That is unnecessary.

I am afraid you have the wrong number.

I didn't, Beatrice.

I press my lips, maybe one of my friends is playing pranks.

I won't talk to stranger.

What you are, a twelve year old? You are hilarious, Baby Trice.

I am shocked. My mom calls me Baby Trice. How does this person know that? I feel curious but I decide not to reply.

You are disguised, aren't ya?

Nope

Then talk to me.

I decide not to.

Not if I say I something intriguing?

I don't reply. Being averagely pretty can be disturbing, too. I wonder how Beth tolerates guys. She is just so pretty.

Are you scared?

Oh. You got my message last night. Didn't ya?

My heart beats hard.

Don't worry. I am not going to harm you.

Or kill you.

Though I said I will.

Please stop.

Okay, if you want me too.

But wouldn't you wanna know who's next on my list?

What are you talking about?

Funny how your loved ones have their name so similar. Blake, Bethany.

This is not happening. I wanna throw my phone away but some invisible power has glued my fingers to the screen.

Hush hush! I quite like Beth’s neon skirts.

My eyes want to ball out. Bethany, the time I saw her in the kitchen, was in her green neon skirt. The one dad hates.

Who are you? And what do you want?

There's nothing that I want now.

Leave us alone.

I will. I promise.  Very soon.

I stop replying.

All of you will be very alone.

Those words keep ringing in my ears. Do these mean someone is trying to kill me? I feel sick by stomach. I go to the faucet and sprinkle some water on my face.

Why would someone have enmity with me? As a doctor, I might have mistaken for once or twice but that doesn't make anyone want to end my life. That's pathetic.

I come back to my bed and can think no more. All my exhaustion pulls me into sleep.

I can't remember how long I slept. When I wake up, the sunlight scorches on my window. I yawn. I take my mobile to check the time, I am partially forgotten about those paedophilic messages.

There's a notification. A message.

Unknown : One out. Who's next do you think?

I stand up and my eyes widen. My heart thuds as it will come out of my chest and cause another casualty. What does it mean? I rush downstairs. Nobody is home.

First I think of Beth. This can't happen. The paedophile was following Beth! I can't think anymore. I dial her phone on a continuous loop. She doesn't pick up.

I grow frustrated. Then she picks up.

“Bea! What's wrong? I was at practice.” Her voice feels like I've been hit with a splash of water.

I compose myself, “No everything is fine. I just woke up and felt disoriented.”

I hear her laughter and she hangs up.

Which one is out? Mom? Dad? Blake?  

My knees grow weak and I find myself thrown on the kitchen floor.