I Am Here - Jelsa One Shot

Elsa lay on her back, her hands outstretched before her. Small ice patterns lined the ceiling and spread gracefully as she swirled her fingers. Usually this was entertaining enough, but she had been doing it for the past hour, and she was bored out of her mind. She sighed, her hands falling. “ANNA!” she shouted. 

Her carefree sister waltzed into the room, immediately slipping on the icy floor and falling on her backside with a frown. “Elsa-a! Are you going to do that every time I come to your room?” she said with a huff. “I’ll just stop coming if you do that.” 

Elsa chuckled and made the ice disappear before hopping off her bed. “Come on, Anna, I’m so bored,” Elsa whined. “Why don’t we do something fun?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why don’t we do something fun?"

Jack perked up at Elsa’s words. ‘Fun’? He jumped up from his seat on her windowsill where he had been lounging for the past half hour. He usually came and visited Elsa when he was bored or lonely, but the tiny fact that she couldn’t see him made it a little hard to find company with her. But this, this was his chance to finally get her to believe. He walked around her, a cocky smile on his face. “Well, you see, Elsa, I’m quite the expert at fun. You could always ask me,” he said. Just as he finished speaking she walked toward Anna, and right through Jack. He stumbled forward, and tried to catch his breath. He usually hated the feeling of not being seen by someone, but somehow this was different. 

"Oh, Elsa," Anna began sheepishly, scratching the back of her neck, "you know I would love to, it’s just I promised Kristoff-"

"Oh, come on, Anna! Why don’t we-" Elsa began to say, but she never got to finish her sentence. A pure white snowball had collided with the back of her sister’s red hair, making the already clumsy girl stumbled forward. Anna’s mouth fell open and she turned to Elsa with a look of anger and surprise, but she eyes had a twinkle of mischievousness as she pounded her fist into her open palm. 

"That wasn’t me!" Elsa cried as Anna advanced on her. Jack laughed loudly as he leaned against her bedpost to watch the scene he caused play out.

"That’s what you get for not seeing me the hundreds of times I’ve visited you," he said.

"If you didn’t do it, who did?” Anna questioned.

"She has a point," Jack teased.

"Jack Frost?" 

Anna’s words made Jack freeze, all joking falling immediately off his face. “W-what?” he said, his voice barely above a whisper? “Can you, can you see me?”

"Who’s Jack Frost?" Elsa said.

"Wow, thanks," Jack said sarcastically. 

"You know, the character from fairy tale books?" Anna said.

“‘Fairy tale?’” Jack said, feigning offense.

"Oh, right," Elsa said. "Anna, aren’t fairytales, well, fake?"

"Maybe they’re real," Anna, said with a shrug. "I saw Santa when I was little. I’m sure he’s real. Jack was in the same book. Maybe he’s real, too."

Jack stared dumbfounded at Anna. What if she could see him? What would he say? 

"I saw the Tooth fairy once," Elsa said, "but it had to be a dream. Anna, those things aren’t real. They’re just silly characters in some stupid children stories." Jack swallowed, the silence in him making her words echo through his entire being. He could feel his heart shatter into a billion pieces. "They’re just stories. You can’t believe in them, Anna."

"You’re probably right," Anna said with a smile. Elsa linked her arm with her sisters and the two of them began to walk out of the room.

"Now, what is it you have planned with Kristoff?" Jack heard Elsa tease before the door was shut in his face. 

He stood there in shock, not know what to say, not knowing what to do. She didn’t believe him. Not even a little. He already knew she didn’t, because she didn’t see him, but something about hearing her say it made him snap. He yelled in pure agony and fell to his knees. 

I HELPED YOU! I’VE WATCHED OUT FOR YOU FOR YEARS! I NEVER LEFT YOU ALONE WHEN YOU NEEDED ME! HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT? HOW COULD YOU SAY THOSE THINGS?" he yelled. He broke down and began to cry. "H-how could you do that to me?"

Jack’s body was racked in sobs he felt ashamed for even having. He had never felt this alone, this rejected, this unbelieved in. When the tears finally became less, he looked up with a face of anger masking pain. He grabbed his staff and flew out of the open window. He went to the north mountain, remembering clearly how he fought off Pitch with all he had. He stabbed his staff into the ground with all the strength he could muster. Snow and ice began to spread from his staff, covering the ground until it reached Arendelle. The water froze, the sky broke out in snow, and every roof was covered in white dust. It was just like the winter Elsa had created last summer, only this one she had no power over. 

"Have fun fixing that with ‘love,’" Jack said bitterly, his tears frozen on his cheeks. He flew away, down to the place Pitch had found him, and hid in a lone ice cave far, far away from any form of life