Chapter 3

Mitch always seemed kind of off. He always had this need to be better, to please everyone. He aspired to be like the models and celebrities he saw and no matter what he did, he would never be good enough. He took everything someone would say to him personally and would spend hours thinking about it. He would always obsess about every little detail on everything he would wear until it was perfect. He was striving to be perfect. The number of likes on a photo or video was never enough for him. The number needed to be bigger, higher, better. That was most of what he would think about, with everything he would do. Bigger, higher, better, skinnier, prettier. That was he was thinking about most of the time, it was constantly running through his head as what he should be.

This made Scott worry about him constantly. There were days where Mitch would lock himself in the guest room. They had stopped calling that room the guest room, it had become Mommy's second room, or Mitch's other room. Sometimes he'd go in there for days at a time and do things he probably shouldn't have been doing, but he couldn't help it. Those things were making him a better person and needed to be a better person.

Mitch had spent most of his adolescent life striving to be a better person, but he did it in such a way that he was able to hide it from everyone. He thought he was absolutely brilliant, but the reality was that he had a problem and no one was going to be able to get him help. Scott didn't find out until Mitch was so deeply obsessed with the perfection that Scott couldn't help him. Scott tried to trick Mitch into therapy, but at that point, Mitch didn't want help. When his parents found out he had taken things way too far.

Mitch was happy living with Scott and his two beautiful daughters, but he was always striving to be better, skinnier, prettier, happier. Nothing was ever good enough for Mitch, and at times he felt he was failing. Failing as a parent, as an entertainer, as a person, as a husband, and one day that very problem caused him to pack up and leave. Things had gone so far that it had gotten to the point that he believed no one could love him, and he was so sure Scott was no longer in love with him. So one night, he packed up all of his things and left while Scott and the girls were still asleep the only thing he left was a note.