- 10 -

Tie her up? The words caused a windstorm of reactions in her, ranging from anger at the mere thought of being constrained to an amazingly powerful shiver of longing.

She closed her eyes, knowing she couldn't conceal her scents from Iain but hoping she could keep her eyes and expressions from giving away more.

"I could tie you up," she pointed out tensely.

"You could. But there are two problems."

"And those are?"

"You don't know the ritual, and if I become predatory, there are few bonds that could hold me."

"Lovely." Sarcasm dripped from the word.

But she wondered what her real resistance was. She couldn't deny the way her body had clenched at the thought of being tied up and loved by him. Never had she suspected she might have a hankering to be bound like some kind of sexual conquest. Undeniably, however, the urge was there. At least with Iain.

Now that the image had been planted, she couldn't escape it. Instead, her mind wandered around the notion of being both helpless and exposed while he loved her in whatever way he chose. Another pulse of desire tightened her core, making her ache so hard.

She knew where he could take her even fully clothed. She had been longing for more ever since. What was she afraid of?

Being helpless? Of course. She hated being helpless. Even as her libido responded powerfully, some part of her resisted. Why?

Because she suddenly felt incredibly and uncharacteristically shy. The notion of helplessness and being fully exposed made her feel like an inexperienced schoolgirl who had never before been touched, who had never before been naked with a man in even the smallest way.

"You have to take charge?" she asked quietly.

"Yes."

"And I'm supposed to just let you tie me up and use me in whatever way you choose?"

"I would be a tender lover, Schatz. The point of this is pleasure, not humiliation or bad feelings. That would subvert the ritual."

Her eyes snapped open. "I'd feel a whole lot better about this if I thought you gave a damn about me."

He appeared astonished, which gave her a small measure of satisfaction. "I don't call anyone else Schatz."

"What's that mean, anyway?"

"Treasure."

Oh, man, he knew exactly how to slip past her defense. Treasure? That word hit her right in the heart like a warm dart. She bit her lip. "I need to think about this, Iain. It's not like we ever really made love before. You're asking a lot."

"I know. But I could, right this instant, come to you and love you in all the ways I want, ways that you want, too."

"As long as I don't move."

He nodded. "It's not that I fear hurting you. I fear forgetting myself and drinking from you at the same time."

"So I'm still just a food group?"

"You're far more than that or I wouldn't suggest this. Would it make you feel better if I come to you first as an ordinary lover?"

Would it? She didn't know anymore. How could she when she'd had such an unexpectedly strong response to the idea of being bound by him? "Will it affect the power of the ritual?"