Chapter 32

Lots of POV switches sorry! (Sorry for the awful haikus too)

~Mikayla's POV~

I still remember

The first day and how he

Smiled to himself

He stared at his paper

Ran his fingers through his hair

Did not say a word

Until I said hi

Forced him to look towards me

But he only frowned

And then a boy came

The frown turned into a smile

And they turned to me

They were my first friends

The two boys no one would love

Became family

"Haikus again?"

I slam the small journal shut and shove it down my pocket, swirling around hastily to meet Moon leaning over my shoulder. At least he can't read English well...

"I can read English fine."

"Uh...A-Are we close?" I cough, turning away from his stare and awkwardly biting my lip to seem more attractive. I play with my hair, a move Claire told me drove men crazy. Moon seems unaffected though, his mind purely on the roof of a house in the distance.

Dragging my snow boots through the ice I let my body drift closer to his, swaying my hand so it'll hit his. "Why do you write those?" He asks, running his fingers through his hair and pushing it from his eyes. I hop over a small rock in the ground still trying to let the image of Moon in pain drift from my memory. He'd recovered quickly, saying it was just a sudden wind.

I shrug my cloaked shoulders, glancing back at Claire for guidance. "I don't know."

Smoke rises from above the shingled roof, a fog floating over the clouds as we grow closer to the house. I can't recall how long we've been walking, how long it's been since I've eaten but my legs carry on with what little energy I have. But something feels wrong, the way Moon tenses up beside me, his hand avoiding mine and falling inside his pockets.

"Someone lives there don't they?"

He ignores my question, biting down on his lip instead and blindly trudging through the snow. "You're going to kill them aren't you?"

"They'll be dead by the time we get there." The fog clears out, the smoke no longer being spit out of the soot covered chimney. The melting snow around it's base is already freezing over, a shiver falling down my spine at what the sudden quiet means. "Kaiien told me."

"I didn't know he could still see things..." He had brought it up once, at a sleepover, that he was able to see into the future but we didn't press the subject.

Moon nods, once more avoiding my gaze. "We don't talk about it." We walk in silence, listening to the other's conversations as we grow nearer with each crunching step. "Do you miss your family?" He whispers, raising an eyebrow and assisting me with climbing over a frozen log.

I stare absentmindedly at the over turned trunk, ants frozen in a sheet of ice an inch thick, berries and seeds draped over their backs as they leave. Moon waits for me as the group walks on, leaning next to me to become eye level with the doomed insects. "Sometimes I do but sometimes I don't. That probably doesn't make much since though does it?"