04 | twins & plans

0 4

twins & plans

I WAS FAIRLY sure about one thing: that Teddy Burke loved his job. In fact, he was in love with it. I guess I couldn't blame him, he worked day in and day out for a big salary, he got to do exactly what he studied for in college, and he — usually — brought good results to the people who came in and asked for his help. He definitely had odd hours in his career life, but they weren't due to spoiled children who disliked you, but wanted you to do everything for them instead of learning a thing or two about self-dependency.

When I made it to Burke & Associates, which was located in a tall building downtown, complete with a sleek, obsidian finish that reflected the sun off of it and into my eyes when I looked up, I just knew it. Everything about it from the exterior to the interior was just absolutely stunning and screamed success. I had to take the elevator up to the fourth floor, which was where the office directory said I should be going. When I stepped off onto the smooth marble floors, I felt a breath catch in my throat. The walls were clean and white, the inside furnishings were sleek and minimalist, and there was a wall that was lined with many plaques and photos, titled the "Win Wall." I wanted to get closer and look at it, but there was a receptionist desk in the way, where a man seemed to be absentmindedly toying with his computer.

I honestly thought he wouldn't look up, but he did, surprisingly, and stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Hi," he said, "welcome to Burke & Associates, how may I help you?"

At this point, I wasn't entirely sure of what to say. I didn't know if he had set aside a scheduled time for a meeting and if I could say something like "I'm Mr. Burke's eleven o'clock," or if I had to sit here and schedule my own appointment at the front desk.

To avoid looking like an idiot and standing there in silence for any longer than I already had, I said, "I'm here to see Mr. Burke, please. I think we had a meeting scheduled for eleven today."

"Right," the receptionist said, scanning his desk before finding a visitor sticker and handing it to me with a purple marker. "Just head on back, Mr. Burke is waiting for you. I didn't think you'd be a brunette because they're usually all blondes who come here, though, but it's okay."

I had no idea what he meant by that last comment, but I felt embarrassed enough just standing here, so I paid it no mind as I walked around his desk and to the back where offices were quartered off by opaque walls but I could see people inside who seemed to be busy at work through the opened doors. Only two doors were closed, both facing each other on opposite ends of the hallway, and I could only guess that one of them were my destination.

Looking to my left, I saw that the door I faced read the words 'T. Burke' on it, so I pushed it open and stepped in.

But when I did, I realized I was in the wrong room. There were pictures decorating the walls of this space with some guy who looked similar to Teddy and many accolades and awards for Theodore Burke, but he was in no way the man in question. There was said man who looked like Teddy who happened to have his shirt unbuttoned in a haphazardly manner, and there was a picture of him standing with Teddy. Of course, seeing he actual man in person is what tipped me of.

"You're not the girl I met yesterday," he said with a frown, scratching his head in thought. "But you're pretty, so it's okay. Do you want me to pay you, or —"

"No, sir," I said, backing up and out of the door just to get some favorable distance between the two of us. What in the world? Did he think I was a prostitute? Was that what the receptionist was talking about as I left. "I'm Marilyn Finley, I'm here to see Teddy Burke today."