Chapter Eight: History

Will stood next to Gibbs on the deck he worked. Samantha was standing next to Jack at the helm, they were talking lowly about something gesturing at the compass then towards a map.

"How is it that Jack came by that compass?" The blacksmith asked curiously.

Gibbs shrugged and shot a glance towards his captain. " Not a lot’s known about Jack Sparrow before he showed up in Tortuga with a mind to go after the treasure of the Isla de Muerta. That was before I met him, back when he was Captain of the Black Pearl."

Will was taken aback at the new piece lf information. He looked toward where the subject of discussion stood with raised eyebrows. "What? He failed to mention that."

Gibbs sighed, he knew he would have to tell the boy some information in order to keep his trust. To keep him in line.

So, with a disgruntled huff, Gibbs started his story. "Well, he plays things closer to the vest now. And a hard-learned lesson it was. See three days out on the venture the first mate comes to him and says everything’s an equal share that should mean the location of the treasure too. So Jack gives up the bearings. That night there was a mutiny. They marooned Jack on an island and left him to die but not before he’d gone mad with the heat."

Will took in the new information, making connections instantly and looking at Jack in a new light. "Ah. So that's the reason for all the…" The man trailed as he wiggled his fingers.

The sailor resisted the urge to smack the boy as he glowered and sat down. "Reason's got nothing to do with it." He grumbled as Will sat next to him. "Now Will , when a man is marooned he is a given a pistol with a single shot – one shot. Well it won't do much good hunting or to be rescued. But after three weeks of a starvin’ belly and thirst, that pistol will start to look real friendly. But Jack – he escaped the island, and he still has that one shot. Oh, but he won't use it, though, save for one man. His mutinous first mate."

Will's eyes became serious and cold as he named the traitorous man. "Barbossa."

Gibbs nodded, distaste clear in his eyes. "Aye."

Will thought for a moment before he looked up again. "How did Jack get off the island?" He asked.

Gibbs grinned and moved closer. "Well, I’ll tell ye. He waded out into the shallows and there he waited three days and three nights till all manner of sea creature ‘came and acclimated to his presence. And on the fourth morning, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed ‘em together and made a raft." Gibbs finished with a grin.

Will arched an eyebrow. "He roped a couple of sea turtles?"
Gibbs nodded. "Aye, sea turtles." He confirmed.
Will furrowed his eyebrows and looked up. "What did he use for rope?"

Gibbs was about to answer when he notice two things. First, he had no clue what Jack had used for rope. The second, and slightly more terrifying, thing was that Samantha was standing right behind Will with her arms crossed.

Just then, Jack spoke up from the side of the pair. "Human hair, from my back." He leered at the pair.

Samantha rolled her eyes at the made up tale and moved to address the crew. "Drop the anchor!" She ordered, recieving and instant reaction of obedience from the crew members.

"Young Mr. Turner, Samantha, and I are to go ashore." Jack informed Gibbs before he started to go and be sure he had had supplies readied for the trip, incase something were to happen.

"Captain! What if the worst should happen?" Gibbs asked as he looked between Samantha and Jack, who nodded in unspoken agreement.

"Keep to the code." They answered befire walking off to retrieve water, rum- on jacks insistance-, and food.