Enemy

Whenever you move to a new town or place it’s scary. I should know. This is my twentieth time moving. In the end it always turns out okay because Cassy is with us, and Cassy will always protect us.

My mom and I have known Cassy’s family for the past sixteen years, that's ever since I was born. I know it’s a long time to know someone. It’s funny, somehow Cassy is still not sick of me yet. She is probably the most darling girl in the world. Her full name says it all. Cassabell June Dimple. It’s so unfair.

When two sixteen year old girls live with each other, it can be… interesting.

“Cassy!”

“What!”

“Where in the world did you put my deoderant!”

“I had to use it. Soccer practice today!”

“Well, Imma’ stinking up a storm so give it here!” A typical morning for Cass and I. I go downstairs with my purple top that has strips of white in between and blue jeans with black converse. For the first day of school most people want to stand out and yeah. I know this choice is simple because today I want to do anything but stand out. For Cassy, things are totally different. Today, she has on some weird looking unicorn turtle that says ‘Power Turtles!’. Oh god, how I hope that things at Monroe High School will be different.   

When I walk into the kitchen I see my mom cooking eggs and sausage.

“Smells good Mom.” I say as I take a seat at the table.

“Thank you Honey. And good morning Cassy.” says mom as Cassy comes into the kitchen.”

“Good Morning Auntie Beck” replies Cassy as she plops down next to me.

“So  Alyssa” Are you excited for today?“, Cassy starts. Mom brings over two plates filled with eggs and sausage. “New school, new classes, new boys!” I smile as she winks at that last one. “No Cass, I don’t think I can handle all of those annoying girls that I haven’t even met yet that will be talking like, like, like. God, how much I want to walk up right to them and say “Excuse me, but we would all like to know when you would shut up!” Ugh.” Cass notes the sarcasm in my voice.

“Ally Calvin, I couldn’t agree with you more. So, how bout today? Me, you, bunch of butt kicking?” We both start laughing at this. What and where would I be without this girl?

“There will be no butt kicking today girls.” Mom charms in. Both of us nod and we chew on some toast.

“Got everything for after school?” I ask Cass as we head out the door.

“Yup! At gym I’ll ask the soccer coach if I could be on the team. We’ll kick butt, then go celebrate by getting hot wings!”

“Oh, sounds fun..”

“Oh, Sorry all. Forgot I live with someone you can’t eat the deliciously awesome meat that we are made of.”

“Cass, you're weird.”

“Ya, I know.” She opens the car door and turns on the radio.

“Turn it down!”, I argue. “People will stare at us!”

“Does it look like I care?” Cass turned the volume up even louder and started to sing. Man I love that girl.

“Hey Ally!” Cassy yelled.

“Yeah?”

“When can I see the song you're working on?”

“How ‘bout never?”

“Aww! Come on. I like them.”

“They’re personal Cass. I told you.”

“Please?, she pleaded again. “I won’t tell anyone.”

“Maybe, let me just find this school first!”

“Yeah wouldn’t want to be late for the first day of school,” says Cass as she laughs a little and then starts to sing again. "and I sure wouldn't want anyone to think I'm weird."