Chapter 10.

I stayed in the same position for a couple of hours, the floor supporting my aching back. Nathan had hung up a while ago, he didn’t bother to say goodbye and he didn’t have to. After what he had said, it was clear I knew the answer to it all, he didn’t want me and he never had.

I separated my fingers tenderly, spreading them out as I placed them against the floor. I imagined the warmth of his body, his heart slowly beating as if my hand was pressed against his chest lightly, remembering his touch and the way he felt.

Now I would never feel that slight rush whenever I turned around catching his eye as he smiled at me, the light laughter that would fill the room, escaping from my mouth due to one of his various sarcastic comments during the day or the moments where he would randomly get up, turning a word into a song and profound it to me as I lay upon the sofa, doing his little hip shaking dance across the floor.

All that was gone.

Get yourself together Niamh, you are strong. Don’t let Nathan win this. I slightly lifted my head up, shaking it to wake myself up from the self pity haze that I was in. Pulling my hands together I pushed against the floor, my body now recuperating from the hours in an awkward position while now standing, stretching those constricted muscles.

I yawned, the desperate need for air escaping me. My eyes peered across the dark room, noticing the many items and objects that were mine. Reaching for an empty box across the side of the bedroom, one we had forgotten to take out…we. I sniffed, holding the tears in for the heavy job ahead, separating my stuff from Nathan’s.

It was tedious, almost as if this was going to truly cement the separation, no going back. There would be no us, no Niamhan. My hand was mostly filled with make-up tools and products, clothes and little items that I had brought over that my mother would have not noticed missing.

Picking up the only two boxes containing all my stuff, I walked towards the door. I had already texted Laura, she was older and already had her licence and she agreed greedily to come and pick me up. Most likely to check I was still okay, not going to break down at any moment, make sure there was some life still left in me.

I reached the handle pulling it down while strategically holding onto two full boxes in the other hand. Balancing them I managed to guide the door open, leaving the key for the apartment directly on the counter top behind it.

Shuffling forward, I kicked the door back, slamming into its latch and shutting permanently, my bag slung on my shoulder slowly dropping with the harsh movement. As it dropped considerably nearing my wrist, I jumped trying to catch the bag but ultimately forgetting about the two boxes placed in my hands.

A loud crash sounded, as the box and its contents hit the floor, making itself known to the other participants of the apartment block. I pulled the bag up quickly; making sure it was fastened around my shoulder tightly before bending down to pick up the contents of the boxes. 

A hand connected with mine as it helped me lift the scattered pieces back to its place, standing the boxes back up right.

“I hate it when this happens, embarrassment already on your first day moving in,” My eyebrows knitted together, confusion taking over me. Did this person really think I was just moving in?

“Umm sorry, I’m actually just moving out,” I spoke adamantly, looking up to the person who’s voice was so light and happy.

My eyes connected with the one pair of green eyes that I was not expecting, my mouth slightly open in shock. The eyes, so happy and gleeful had suddenly turned sour and hateful.

“I thought you would have already gone,” Nathan said, trying so hard to not make eye contact with me as we both stood up, keeping the distance between us.

“I was just leaving,” I spoke quietly, unsure of how to react.

He looked at me questionably. “Just answer me one thing, how did you expect me to react after telling me?”

“I guess…not much different to this,” He smirked in reply. “Although of course I wished you would have forgot and forgiven me straight away but that isn’t as easy as it sounds,”

Nathan swallowed harshly, his fingers agitated at the discovery of what I had just said. He spoke quietly for the first time, his eyes downcast, “Well, that isn’t as easy it sounds,” and without another word he left quietly, no loud heavy footed steps leaving in anger, just ones in confusion and discomfort. Confusion was obviously a common factor between us both.

Hope you like it guys! :D <33