Nine

9-Justin

I felt like I'd been locked up for days and yet it probably had only been an hour. They'd questioned me and I told them exactly what happened. I left nothing out. I had no doubt there would be holes in Owen's story or outright lies, so I didn't think this would bode too well for me. I sighed. How had I gotten myself into this? Oh yes, I fell in love. There, I admitted it. I knew it was probably too soon to know if this was truly love, but the feelings were there, nonetheless.

The only thing making this night bearable was the fact that they'd locked Owen up in the cell right next to me. It should have been pure hell listening to him continue to whine about the injustice, but I was just glad they hadn't completely bought his side of the story. He hadn't complained about his supposedly broken arm once since being locked up and the way he was angrily waving his arms around, told me it wasn't really broken. As I watched him I wondered what Zoe saw in him. Was that the kind of guy she had seriously planned on spending the rest of her life with?

"Owen Marian?"

I glanced up and was shocked to see Zoe had entered. She was standing next to a man in a suit. I didn't know who he was, but I didn't like how close he was standing to Zoe. Jesus, look at the caveman I'd become. I'd already tossed her ex-fiancé around tonight and now I was getting bent out of shape because she simply standing next to another guy. I needed to get a grip. I was just thanking God that I was in Podunk USA and hoped the press wouldn't get ahold of this story. My manager, my publicist, and hell even my bandmates would have ripped me a new one.

"I'm Owen Marian." Owen said, sounding calmer now. The asshole probably thought he was being let go, but I doubted that was the case, considering Zoe's presence. I didn't know what was happening, but I'd bet my last dollar that she was here to get me out instead.

The suit continued, "Mr. Marian, my name is Grady Phillips. I'm an attorney out of Sabetha."

"Yes, I've heard of you." Owen said, sounding irritated again.

Grady continued, "Yes, well, then you'll understand when I tell you that you're in a lot of trouble. Harassment and slander are two very serious matters."

"Harassment...slander...what is the meaning of this?" Owen sputtered, as he finally transferred his glare to Zoe.

"Drop the charges against Justin, Owen, and I won't bring charges against you. Come to find out, it's actually against the law to spread lies about someone the way you've been spreading them about me. Drop the charges against Justin and stop badmouthing me in town." Zoe stated boldly and I couldn't be more proud of her for finally sticking up for herself.

Owen tried to ruin the moment, however, when he gave her a slow clap and sneered, "Bravo, Zoe, you really got me. You know this won't change how the town sees you. The damage is already done. You've got yourself a man for the minute, but he'll leave town soon and then you'll be back to square one. Nobody around here, will see you as anything except an easy lay. You'll be alone for the rest of your life. How does it feel to know that you'll be thinking of me every day until you die? I'm the one who did this to you, so you'll have no choice but to remember me."

I wanted to reach through the bars and rip Owen to bits, but I knew I couldn't reach him and, even if I could, that would just get me into more trouble. I looked at Zoe, desperately wanting to hold her. For a moment, she looked beat down again, but then she straightened her shoulders and said, "You're wrong, Owen. The second you hit me, I stopped thinking about you. You're nothing more than a pesky insect at this point. Bugs can be squashed, you know?"

"Domestic violence? Miss Andrews, do you have evidence supporting that? We could add it to the list of charges against him." Grady offered.

Zoe nodded, "I do. I took a picture of myself and I also have the emergency room paperwork. They know it was a fist that injured me. I'm sure any prosecutor could connect the dots and figure out whose fist it was."

"You can't prove anything." Owen said, visibly angry.

"Do you want to risk it? What would your clients think? Owen, if you want to pursue this, I have no problem running your name through the mud. You've already ruined my good name and you know what they say about misery loving company." Zoe said, cool as a cucumber and damn, she was smoking hot. I needed to get her alone, pronto.

Owen clenched his jaw, as well as his fists. I prayed Zoe knew what she was doing. I didn't like the calculating look in Owen's eyes, at the moment. I had no doubt, he'd be the kind of snake that would strike when nobody else was around. I suddenly, very much, feared for Zoe's safety. I was so proud of her for sticking up for herself, but I feared Owen was going to snap and really hurt her one of these days. It sounded like he'd already hurt her one too many times. She'd confided in me that he'd hit her, but she hadn't let on how serious it was. The fucker had sent her to the emergency room!

"What is going on back here? Miss Andrews, you don't belong back here and who the hell is this?" Sheriff Gordon's booming voice was suddenly bouncing off the cell walls.

Before Zoe could explain, Owen stated, "I want to drop all charges against Justin Wallace."

The Sheriff straightened, "Oh really?" He turned to me, "And you? Do you have any charges you want to bring up?"

I frowned, "What charges would those be?"

"Hell if I know, I'm just covering my bases. This has been a shit day. I was supposed to be off, relaxing, listening to music and drinking beer." The Sheriff grumbled, before he unlocked both cell doors. "You're free to go."