23. Race

When I suffer, I suffer quietly.

When I'm in pain, I don't like to tell anyone.

I'd rather have it on my shoulders instead of being a burden to those around me. I didn't like the thought of them caring for me because it made me feel weak. It made me feel helpless.

It made me feel like that weak little girl from my past.

But it felt comforting. To know that you have a cushion there to break your fall. To know that you have someone to bring you up when you're down. To know that you have someone who has your back.

I woke up from a nightmare to be in my bed. A killer headache greeted me good morning. I groaned quietly and held my head as I sat up slowly. It seemed to be dawn with sunlight streaming in from the slightly open window next to my bed. The curtains swayed in the wind and I was slightly entranced by it. I felt a dip on the edge of the bed and I look over. My breathing hitched and I forgot how to breathe for a couple minutes.

Levi was sleeping soundly on the edge of the bed with bandages in one hand and the other holding my hand. The hand holding bandages acted as a pillow for his head while he was in a sitting position. He woke up from the sudden movement and sat up to yawn and rub his eyes.

'...so cute...' I thought as he rubbed his eye with one hand.

"Can you stop staring at me with that look in your eyes? It makes you look like a stalker." He ruined the peaceful moment. I gave him a deadpanned look and lifted my head to stare at the ceiling.

"Can you get me some Tylenol?" I ask and he leans over to the bedside drawer. He handed me a couple of Tylenol pills and a glass of water to which I gratefully gulped down.

"Get ready and I'll meet you at Erwin's office." He commanded and I rolled my eyes but got up. He left the room and I went to the closet. I put my hair up out of my face and I changed into the regular uniform. I grabbed my things and reluctantly went down to Erwin's office.

"So what made you snap?" Erwin asked right when I got in. I ignored him for a bit and sat on the couch. Mikasa came over with bandages and I rolled up my pant leg so she could change the bandages.

"Great to see you too Erwin. He just said some things about wanting me to join the Titans and then escaping when I declined. He got all triggered or something like that." I gave Armin a nod of thanks when he came over with a cup of tea.

"Still doesn't explain why you brutally murdered and butchered the Titan," Erwin said. Mikasa finished my leg and rolled my pant leg down and proceeded to sit next to me.

"Thanks. I just thought of all the deaths he caused and decided that I would avenge their deaths." I said. Erwin gave me a look but dropped the subject.

"Anyways, I have a new mission for you. A partner mission in fact." My ears perked up and I raised an eyebrow at Erwin.

"Levi and (y/n), your mission is to stop a transaction between some racers. What the racers have is a dangerous car that is very advanced in technology. It has a bomb embedded in it so be careful. I'll send you an email of what we gathered about the car before you leave. Your mission is located in Salvador, Brazil where you will go undercover as racers and win that car. You will bring it back here where we will destroy the car before it could cause damage." Erwin briefly explained it. Levi and I got a notification for an email and we glanced at it before looking back up.

"The race is this Friday night, I would get packing if I were you," Erwin said and dismissed us. It was Wednesday so we had a couple days to get there. Mikasa, Armin, and Eren saluted before leaving while Levi and I quickly left. We went through the back and stole an unused car to get back home to my apartment.