Chapter 4

Ella's P.O.V.

An involuntary gasp leaves my mouth. My heart sinks and I hold Alex's hand tighter. I blink and look up into James' eyes and I see nothing but satisfaction. He thinks that he's won.

"James. Please don't." I almost plead. I hate acting weak. God I hate it, but I have no idea how to get out of this. My mind is going a million miles a minute trying to come up with a plan but its all blank. Nothing is coming to me. That's terrifying to me. I always have something.

"What good are words going to do you princess? You're just a girl, you can't fight. Why should I be worried? I've basically won." He says and my blood boils. Alex sucks in a breath and I know that he's pissed too. It takes all of my might to not attack him right now.

"I am not just a girl." I sharply reply trying to stall so Sara can come back. Where is she? I think, trying to buy time. James scoffs and I bite the inside of my cheek to stop my response.

"Sure your highness. You go ahead and think that." He says and Alex gives my hand a squeeze.

"Why are you even doing this?" I ask him changing the topic.

"I was hired," he says and shrugs, "I don't give a damn about your crown or marrying you, I'm just getting a great reward." He says and can't believe it.

"You seemed so nice, admittedly boring, but nice earlier." I say voicing my thoughts.

"Its called acting sweetheart." He says and walks closer so the gun is almost touching my forehead. I close my eyes in fear. This might be it. I am shaking all over and I know James can tell. I hear Alex sit up and without even looking, I know what his face would look like. Jaw clenched, brow furrowed, and his lips in a tight straight line. I need to hear his voice.

"Alex." I barely whisper out. It comes out broken and scared. I can't imagine the panic that he's feeling. I'm terrified but he can't really do anything. Alex holds my hand even tighter.

"Ella." He whispers out and James scoffs.

"Ella." He mocks in a whiny annoying voice and presses the cold barrel of the gun against my forehead. I feel a tear slip out. I don't even know where Sara is. I just pray that it will be quick.

"Alex, I love-" I start to say thinking this is it but I'm cut off with the door bursting open. My eyes fly open and before I can say anything, James yanks me to my feet and holds me against his chest with the gun pressed up under my chin, against my neck. Alex sits up and starts to move closer but James presses the gun harder against my neck and I suck in a breath in fear. Alex stops instantly.

"Don't even think about it if you want your love to live." he sneers and I look ahead to see Sara, my parents and 3 guards.

"Ella!" My mom exclaims and starts to rush forward but my dad stops her. She looks at him in panic. His jaw clenches and he looks back at me.

"James-" My dad starts and I zone out while they're talking. I look at the features of everyone's faces. All contorted in panic. I go from my dad to my mom, Sara and end at Alex. He's the most panicked out of all of them. He looks desperate. His eyes are the thing that breaks me. A few tears slip out when I see how sad and desperate his eyes are. I close my eyes and sigh. I can still hear James and my dad talking. Then it hits me all at once. I realize that no, this ass hole isn't killing me. I'm strong and no one can tell me that I am not. I remember I still have heels on. I open my eyes and smirk at Sara.

Ready? I mouth to her and she frowns and panics more. This all then happens so fast.

I bring my knee up, jam my heel into his balls and before I even get a reaction from him, I let go of Alex's hand and rip the gun out of James' hand as he drops to the floor.