17 Part Two

My feet padded on the smooth cement floor as I run farther away from Tuck. Tom and Tuck tried to run after me, when Tom got ahold of my wrist, I pushed him away and ran faster than I've ever done.

Other guards like Alfie, Lucas and the others tried to get me but I was faster. They could never catch me. It was something I was very good at even when I was younger, running.

"Don't let her get away! Gate One, lock it down." I heard Tuck mumble to his walkie-talkie. I've decided to swerve and go another direction, a door people rarely use.

The patients screamed and panicked when they saw all the racket starting in front of them. I wanted to stop and make them relax but I couldn't. Their eyes had tears brimming at the end, their faces scrunched up in worry. I'm a bad nurse. I can't help them. Especially if... I'm one of them.

When I saw the slim metal door ahead of me, it was my final way of getting out. I need air but I knew Tuck wouldn't give me that. My footsteps grew louder and louder and echoed across the hall. Constant shouts and calls of my name left the lips of the other guards, especially Tuck but they couldn't stop me. I won't allow it.

So I ran and ran, not stopping to take a breath. I sprinted all the way to my house. I looked like a madman as I pushed people aside, shouting at them to move aside, I needed to get out of here. My apartment was a few meters away and I smiled at the sight of it. When I turned a left, my feet halted to a stop. My legs were shaking uncontrollably, in shock of the constant cardio.

In front of my house lays Mr. Carter's. On his lawn were a lot of people, they were crying and shouting. As I walked nearer, I could hear the old man shouting to the heavens, questioning Him why it happened.

What happened?

I squeezed in between the mourning people and almost fainted at the sight in front of me.

Mr. Carter was on his knees, he sat on the grassy lawn with tears streaming down his face endlessly. He was growing and he looked heartbroken. But then I looked at what he was holding- or who he was holding. In his arms, laid his granddaughter. Her skin is pale as snow, a dark purple bruise around her neck but that wasn't the worst part. The ten year old girl didn't have any clothes on. It evident that this child was not only murdered but... raped as well.

I could feel my very own tears collecting, urging each other on to slip into my cheeks. The little girl's chest had blood everywhere but there was something written on it.

Someone used a knife to carve something into her skin. My hand made its way to my mouth as a gasp came out of my lips.

How could someone be so cruel? To... rape and murder a young and innocent girl. Mercilessly splay her dead body on the front yard of her very home for all of her family and the neighborhood to see. It was a barbaric action from a heartless person.

Letters glided along through her chest and stomach. The words I'M BACK were boldly staring right in front of me.

My stomach churned at the sight of it. I could feel all the blood rushing away from my face. I was lightheaded and when Mr. Carter's eyes met mine, he was filled with depression and anger. A mixture that didn't mix well like hot oil and water.

"He's back." He growled. Fury washed over his face but when he looked at the sleepless face of his beloved, they morphed into sadness once again.