Four

4

"Why don't you like to be called 'Scar', Lettie?" JC asked while we were sitting in front of the TV, beers in hand and eyes glued to the screen.

I felt a mild pang of annoyance, but JC was the more childish one of our group. He was still rather innocent. I shrugged, playing it off as if it were nothing. "I just don't like it," I told him.

He remained silent. I was mostly sure he'd believed me. I drained what was left of my beer, got up, stretched, and said to Kai, "I'm going to bed. See you in the morning."

All I got in response was a vague nod. I rolled my eyes playfully and headed upstairs. Those boys wouldn't be going to bed for around another three hours. I could have sworn they had no real sleeping pattern, and I supposed – considering our lifestyle – they didn't. I was lucky. I went to bed at eleven-thirty most nights and woke up at around seven.

I settled into the spacious bed, pulling the fluffy duvet up to my chin and rolling onto my side. I had no idea how long he was going to be at the house, but I was certain that I wasn't going back until he was gone.

!#!

I had been sliding in and out of sleep for a few hours when I felt the other side of the bed dip. Rolling over, I saw that it was Kai. "What are you doing in here, Kai-Bear?" I whispered sleepily.

"I wanted some company, Lett," he slurred in reply.

I sighed and sat up, running my hand over my face and through my hair. He was drunk. "Kai, go to bed," I told him sternly.

"I am in bed," he chuckled.

I groaned. "Yeah. Mine."

"In case you've forgotten, Scarlett, you're in my house, which makes this my bed."

I gasped sharply when he shifted closer to me and ran his hand over my leg under the covers. I kicked it away and looked at him. "Come on, Kai," I almost pleaded, "don't do this."

"You want me to," he countered. "You loved it last time."

When he started trying to untie the sweat pants I'd borrowed from him, I felt a sickening wave of déjà vu. I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat and choked back the tears. I would not cry.

I pushed Kai off me and climbed out of bed. I slid my arms into my leather jacket and pulled my boots onto my feet. Picking my phone up off the nightstand, I sighed and said to Kai, "Sober up. Then maybe we can try this again." With that, I walked out and down the stairs.

I rode to a park on the other side of the city, in my own neighbourhood. I often came here when I didn't want to go home. Unfortunately, it meant I wouldn't be sleeping tonight. With a sigh, I settled back on the grass, grateful that it was still relatively warm.

!#!

"Scarlett . . ." The model moaned my name . . . "Scarlett? Scarlett!"

My eyelids flew open. So it was a dream then. Damn. I looked around myself, noting that it was quite bright and the ground beneath me was spiky. Then my eyes landed on the face of none other than Daniel the yo-yo guy.

"What are you doing here, Scarlett?" he asked, offering me his hand to help me up.

Glaring at his hand as though it had just insulted my grandmother, I pushed myself up onto my elbows. Now I remembered. I'd spent the night in the park last night because Kai had made a move on me. Guess I must have managed to fall asleep.

Ignoring Daniel's question, I pulled my phone out of my pocket to check the time. "Shit," I muttered when I realised that it had gone flat. I glanced at Daniel and sighed heavily. "Could you tell me what time it is?" I asked somewhat politely.

"It's time for you to tell me a couple things." I huffed an annoyed breath and sat up fully, crossing my legs.

"What do you want to know? I'll decide if I want to answer."

"Okay, why do you hate me?" he asked, sitting cross-legged in front of me.

I sighed. "I don't hate you."

"But you're always so pissed off at me."

"I'm pissed off at everyone, Daniel."

"Why?"

I plucked some grass from the ground and twisted it between my fingers. "Because life's not fair and people are shit." Daniel looked like he wanted to continue asking about this, so I tossed the grass away and said, "Next question."

I wished I hadn't. "Why don't you like being called 'Scar'?"

I felt a pang in my chest and abruptly stood up. "We're done here. Can I get the time now?"

Daniel stood up and checked the time on his phone. "Seven-forty-five."

I groaned. I had fifteen minutes to change clothes and get my arse to school. I would most likely be late. Not that I cared much. I reluctantly started heading in the direction of my bike. Hopefully he wouldn't be at the house.

No such luck. The Sperm Donor was lying on the couch, snoring with an empty glass in his hand. I walked through to my room and changed clothes before heading out again. God knew I wanted to crawl into bed and sleep all day, but if I didn't show, the school would call home and then he would have a reason to be pissed at me. I didn't want to give him that reason.

If only I had stayed at home.

HHtjQ