The Graveyard

Dedicated to Hukaritz Thank you for being the first reader, and follower.

      TALES ARE LONG  FORGOTTEN NOW. Ask them, ask me.
Cleansie's tale has been burried deep down, down and down below nobody could ever remember. Hers was the biggest mystery and yet the simpliest. She used to say, "Dustin, let's take a voyage!" everytime I read her letter. We never see each other until the first voyage.
Her letters were always coated in blue paint, blue stamp, with blue flowers she pulled out from her grandmother's garden.
I am her first cousin. We started to mail each other when her father died, my mother's younger brother. Uncle Cedrick was a sailor of East Labor and he used to own the huge ship in all East Asia. I never saw Uncle Cedrick since we are from West and we can't go there unless we travel back and forth. Uncle Cedrick used to send me papers and describe the nausea experience when he travells.

But July was  forlorn. He died across the North Sea along with his men. They didn't know that a great storm was coming. The last time he sent me a letter he said this, "If ever I'm gone, or can't come back, if ever I lose my tint, because octupos can no longer provide me with precise scribe, I want you to please continue writing your letter, and my daughter, Cleansie Jane will write back for you. She reads your awesome letters too! She's almost your age and she can't wait to see you."

That's the end. It was the only letter which he included the name of my cousin. Mother tends to forget names. Sometimes, she calls me Duster or Dushen. So, when Uncle Cedrick bones were found, I wrote a letter for Cleansie.

"Dearest cousin, Cleansie,

How are you? I am a passing through the winds my symphathy for my Uncle Cedrick. He's a father to me too. I felt your loss."

Mother read my letter before she ventured out through the East to visit the funeral. She kissed me a swift goodbye for two weeks before she comes back.

And when she returned, a flash of grin reviewed on her face and she hugged me like how I hugged my pillow overnight.

"Dustik, I brought something for you." She waved me a navy blue letter sealed with an anchor.

"My name is Dustin, Mother. Do you wish to rename me again?"

I took the paper from her hand and went inside of my room.
It's afternoon and the birds were singging throughout the Town.
Next year, I'm going to be in excel with my studies.
My room smelled rocky roas odor and a mist of salted dust of rain. I guess that's how boy's room works. On my left corner of the room, there were tons of my read books and collection of artifacts from the Carry The Anchor exhibit. It's about the painting contest if you ask. I don't really paint, well I tried but it didn't turned out good so I started to be just a follower of Merci, the Town's famous painter.

On the other hand, I shoved all the books and art collection on my table and cleared my place.
I read the letters from Cleansie. It smelled like sea. It smelled like salted peppermint and garlic. It smelled like something or someone had just died.

"Dearest Dustin,

Hello boomerang! Wow. I finally written you my thoughts! I have bunch of scratch papers to write for you and ye, I sailed 'em boat! Yo don't understand the way I wrote like? How much more if you hear me talk! By the way, I'm only 10! Father took me to advanced class to become a doctor soon! Well, I don't want to be a doctor. I want to be like Father, a fishmogger. A hero. Bye for now wiggle diggle milkfish. I see if you don't want to write me back! I sense your struggle reading."

But it was completely opposite. I loved how she write. It's like she's already an adult. I would love more to hear her talk. I never had a sister, and I wanted her to be one.