eye contact

They were in the coffee shop together. They were across the room from each other.

She was working on her old laptop. The damn thing barely even worked anymore, she was surprised that she was able to open Google Docs. She knew that she needed to get a new computer if she wanted to make it through college, but a college student can never make a good income. As she sighs, she pushes her mid-length brown hair behind her ear. Her computer freezes as she starts the paper for her writing class.

Across the room, she is enjoying a cup of coffee, pieces of paper and a pencil laid in front of her on the smooth, oak table. Her electric, faded blue hair falls out of the bobby pins securing it back, landing in her face. She doesn't seem to let it phase her, as her fingers tug on the metal ring clasped around her lip. Her brain feels fried as she continuously thinks about what to write, what the poem she is trying to produce should be about. She is a poet, a talent that no one would even think she has with just one glance at her. With tattoos lining her arms and piercings going up and down both of her ears, not to mention the blue hair, no one would think that she's a poet. But she likes it like that.

Blue looks up and around the room, something she tends to do when she can't focus. She lets her eyes lazily dance across the vintage looking coffee shop. She knows that she sticks out like a sore thumb in here, but she doesn't care. This is her place.

Her eyes stop their dance when they land on something beautiful. Rather, someone. A stunning girl with mid-length brown hair tucked under a large beanie with a puffball on top. She is clad in a tightly fit long sleeve shirt, typing feverishly on her laptop, as if trying to finish something in a certain time frame. Blue watches as the girl across the room groans and lets her head roll back in frustration, sinking back into her seat and staring at the screen with an icy glare.

She picks up her pencil. Suddenly, her mind has gone into overdrive. But, before she can start working, the girl across the room moves her vision straight to her. Blue is met with striking gray eyes in her vision. Eyes that she can't look away from.

Gray is infatuated. She knows this from the moment her eyes land on the extraordinary girl across the shop from her. This girl she is seeing definitely doesn't look like she belongs in this hipster filled café, and she knows that this type of girl usually isn't her type. But she also knows that something about this girl is different.

In the corner of her eye she sees her laptop typing without her typing on it, which means that it's catching up with the typing she did while it was frozen. She knows she should get back to work, but this eye contact is so intense that she doesn't want to look away.

The girl across the coffee shop looks away first. Gray shakes her head to come back to reality, and goes back to her paper. But she can't stop looking at the extravagant figure who is sitting so far away, wondering if she'll ever see her after today.

On the other hand, Blue is now feverishly writing a poem, based on her newfound muse. She writes line upon line, but doesn't know how to stop.

The Girl Across From Me
she is fantastic

She looks up once more to catch a glimpse of her muse, but she catches her gaze. Once again, their staring contest ensues, green against gray. Blue feels this erupting feeling in her chest, as if her heart has turned into a volcano. She smiles at her muse before returning to her work, willing her heart to calm down.

i know
that to her
i stick out like a sore thumb
but i want to stick out
so that she'll look at me

Gray's heart has released butterflies into her body. Her mind has plastered pictures of the blue headed girl across the room all over her brain. She doesn't know what it is about this girl, and, frankly, it's confusing her. Gray has never felt so strongly towards someone this quickly. She knows that this girl is different.

Blue is finishing her poem. This is the quickest work that she has ever written, but she knows that it's also the best. She wants to finish so that she can catch the eye of her muse across the room once more. Blue wants to talk to her, but she isn't extroverted enough. She knows that if she talks to her, it could be a good thing, but she also knows that she's too introverted.

we are so different
but yet
the same

Blue's head snaps up when the wooden seat across from her creaks with impact. The first things she sees are the gray eyes that have had her captivated her for the past forty minutes. She never wants to look away. She can feel her volcano heart making its impact.

"Hi."

At that moment, Blue's volcano took out a village, and Gray's butterflies turned into a zoo.