Ch. 1: A Hard Decision

I woke up and remembered it was finally Saturday

    I woke up and remembered it was finally Saturday. I hummed an old country song as I walked down the stairs to the kitchen. I began to cook eggs for my mother and I, though it was only 6:45. Lately, I couldn't get a wink of sleep. I don't know what it was, but I was never able to sleep. I yawned again as my mother came down the hall. 

    "Hey, sweetie," she said tiredly. "Let me help you."

    "Why are you up so early?" I asked her.

    "I heard you up and about. Why don't you go get some more rest? After all, it is Saturday."

    I shook my head. "Nah. I can't get any lately."

    I looked at her. She had that smile that I could never forget. Happy, pleased with herself, but there was something clever on her mind.

    "So, honey, you know that show The Voice  that's on NBC sometimes?"

       I nodded, wondering where this was leading. Did she buy us tickets? Or is Blake and Adam her new celeb crushes of the month?

    "Well, this is going to sound sudden, but I really think you should look into that, honey. It looks really nice, and with those amazing little vocal cords..." she said, squishing my cheeks, "I think it might be something you may want to try."

    "What? You mean... auditioning?" I asked, stunned. What was she thinking?

    "Mhm! I mean, season four is about to begin, and they're holding auditions somewhere here in Los Angeles, so it's perfect!"

    I could have laughed. "Mom, that's a... good idea... but do you realize that this is a very serious thing? I mean, there are literally millions of people trying to do this, and who knows? I might not even make it onto the show! I may not even be able to be in the blind auditions!"

    My mother sighed. "Oh, sweetie," she said gently, cupping my chin. "I just wish you had the confidence and faith in yourself that I do. If you would only give in and try, you'll do great things. I promise."

    It was my turn to sigh. "I've never really done anything like this before."

    "Exactly. It's the perfect time to begin. Now should I sign you up?"

    I laughed. "Mom, no need to rush things," I reasoned. "Give me time to think about this."

    "Oh, alright," she said. "but be quick!"

    After breakfast, I went into my room and thought. I did love to sing. It sort of... chased my blues away. Maybe it would help to have a distraction from the past. A new door opened. A new opportunity to get me through the hardships. Before I could think twice, I opened the website and created my account.