The Play's the Thing

Sonic went out to check the mail one day. A flyer caught his eye. "Hey, Tails! Listen to this!" Sonic shouted to his two tailed friend. "Hold on, Sonic!"
Tails was doing some cleaning on the outside of the house. His namesakes gently placed him on the ground in front of Sonic. "What's up?" "Open auditions for a musical romance play! We should go!" Sonic showed Tails the flyer. "Sounds like fun!" Tails put away the cleaning supplies. "Auditions are happening soon! Let's go!" Sonic dashed off. "Hey! Wait for me!" Tails sped off after him.
     At the audition, Sonic saw all his friends and enemies there. "Eggman? What are you doing here??" Sonic asked with a snarl. "Quiet, hedgehog! I'm here to audition, same as you. Now leave me be! I'm studying the script! Ahem..." Eggman assumed his role as the villain. "I shall not let it be! This love to me seems wrong! You dare to stand before me? Allow me to sound the fighting gong!" He recited the lines. "Not bad, Egghead." Tails admitted. "Thank you." Eggman continued to study. "Vector!" A voice called. "Coming!" Vector ran to the voice. "Lets listen in!" Tails said excitedly. Sonic pressed his ear to the door. "You say you lost your ring? I say it was a thief! Glad you called on me, chief! I shall return it to the king!" Tails giggled softly. "That's Vector for you. Always the detective." "SONIKUUU!" Amy yelled, giving Sonic a crushing hug. Tails rolled his eyes. "Amy... Can't... Breathe..." Tails pryed Amy off him. "I hope I can get the part of Princess! I'll fall in love with a Prince! I hope it's you!" She squealed. "That's not what the play is about." Tails scoffed. "Its a forced marriage between a prince and princess. The prince is gay." Tails said.
     "Who would you guys be?" Amy asked. "I'll take any part I can get." Tails said humbly. "I guess I'll go for the prince. It's all pretend after all, right?" "NO!" A voice screamed. "IT'S ACTING! THE REALITY OF DOING!" The voice revealed themselves to be Shadow.  "Shadow. I never took you to be a thespian." Sonic said surprised. "There's a lot you don't know about me, faker. I prefer to keep it that way. Now hurry. You and Tails are next." Shadow sent them in. "Ohkay." Rouge was evaluating them. "You first, Tails." "Okay." Tails cleared his throat. "My father encouraged to keep an open mind. I only wish your father was just as kind." He added emotion, and some action. "Nice. Sonic?" She moved on. "We're both guys, it feels odd But I love you, so I'll have you, by my god!" Sonic placed a hand on his heart, bending his knees seeming honest. Rouge applauded. "You know if you get these parts, you'll have to kiss in the end." She told them. Tails blushed at Sonic. "One small one." They agreed.
     A day passed, and they learned they got the parts they wanted. With that, the rehearsal process began. "Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do!" Sonic vocalized. "Do Ti La So Fa Mi Re Do!" Tails also vocalized. "I believe in our love!" Sonic sang. "I shall not let it happen!" Eggman sang. "We must work together, else we'll be apart forever!" Tails sang. "Try that 'forever' again, Tails?" Rogue requested. "For-ev-er." Tails descended the notes. "Better." Rogue commended.
     Weeks stretched into months, as the big show day came. Sonic's relationship with Tails became more and more real. It was the first show night, and more than half of Mobius showed up to see their blue hedgehog hero. "WE'RE SOLD OUT!" Rouge yelled to the never ending crowd. Backstage, Shadow shared the same piece of news to the cast. "Everyone! We have a full house tonight! Break a leg! We start in five minutes!" He went out to address the crowd. "Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and Girls! Do we have a show for you!" Shadow began to address the crowd, as the cast watched a direct feed from a backstage television. The play began, with Eggman casting his role of the evil king. He sang his song, as Sonic was introduced as the Prince, and Tails as the peasant who Sonic falls in love with. They both had a moment backstage together. "Sonic?" "Yeah, Tails?" "Do you... Really love me?" Tails asked with a blush. "Of course, buddy. But lets save the kiss for the audience. I want everyone to know." Sonic blushed too. "I can't believe that our kind of love was once hated and jeered. I'm so happy things are different." He hugged Tails. The play got close to the end, where Sonic had to dethrone his 'father', the evil king. He was successful, and confessed to the 'kingdom' his love for Tails. "Allow me now, to say it proud! Hear me now, you big crowd!" Sonic recited his lines, holding Tails hands in front of the audience. "This man before me, a peasant though he may be, I love him! And he loves me!" "My love speaks true! He does he does! A kiss we share, just because." Sonic kissed Tails, full of love. The crowd awed and applauded, as it was the end of the play. The entire cast came out and bowed, with Sonic and Tails being last. They shared another kiss, letting everyone know it was real. Both in play, and out.